Installing a network configuration profile using a package

strider_knh
Contributor II

I am trying to setup a network configuration profile to be installed at imaging so that the computers will be on a base network. We use Target Mode imaging so this would allow the laptops to enroll in the JS and get any other configurations that are needed and to allow users to authenticate in using AD. This will also allow use to run policies and install software without having to have a user loved in, this is all pretty typical stuff. I have created the configuration profile and if I double-click it or run the command (sudo profiles -I -F /private/var/configprofiles/USD512P-Test-Temp.mobileconfig) it will be installed as a machine level profile and it works. The problem I am having is getting it to install using a package, it doesn't.

Here is how the computer level profile is setup with the trust certificates:
47d09f67d0cb4a479069cf5b6adb1a0d
3b868caccdf44097beb69ef5be3a0a11

Here is how I have the package and post-install script setup:
40e98d9f74d64bf3b7319f0cfe2c611f
3656f90e8c5942cbbbeab7af90e6cbd8

This is based off of a package we currently use that does the same thing for another network and it works, I just changed the mobileconfig name. Truthfully I am not sure what the defaults write commands do but I have tried commenting them out and it does not help. I have also tried running the profiles command and sudo in the script and still it will not install the profile. I have even tried different Security types, technically a WPA2 Enterprise network.

Any advise on why this isn't working or a better way would be wonderful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

strider_knh
Contributor II

Thank you for your responses. We ended up finding the problem was that the configuration profile was unsigned. This profile we wanted to expire after 4 hours so we were unable to create it in the JS and had to use Configurator 2. In Configurator 2 we were unable to find way to sign the configuration profiles so we needed up uploading it into the JSS just to download it, this signed the profile and then it worked using the method we had previously tried and you all suggested.

Once again, thank you for the help.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

The default commands turn debug logging on and off. Only useful if you are working with those logs for troubleshooting.

That said, try it with a postflight script and just the profiles command since the rest are not necessary. I think postinstall scripts only run the first time you install that package, so if you re-install it later it won't execute. That could be the issue.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

So we do this slightly differently. We create that profile then I made a composer DMG of that profile stored in the /Library/Application Support/JAMF folder.

Then I run a command to call the profile. I even put it in self service so if its not working they can reinstall it.

profiles -I -F /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Wireless Profiles/PPS HS Student 802.11x Network Settings.mobileconfig

Our policy looks as follows4132ad02670b40a98c21ebf54effa925
2dea28840a514a49b9bf30caeb2f23c6
7a4eeefd71ee4751b276c25005946f99
Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

strider_knh
Contributor II

Thank you for your responses. We ended up finding the problem was that the configuration profile was unsigned. This profile we wanted to expire after 4 hours so we were unable to create it in the JS and had to use Configurator 2. In Configurator 2 we were unable to find way to sign the configuration profiles so we needed up uploading it into the JSS just to download it, this signed the profile and then it worked using the method we had previously tried and you all suggested.

Once again, thank you for the help.