Slow login after binding to AD

mreaso
New Contributor III

Hi,

Need help with this issue regarding slow login in AD. It happen if it's out of network or off premises. It takes about 40-55 seconds to login after entering the password. Most of our Mac's are running El Capitan and Yosemite. Our AD ends with .local

I've tried all possible feedback from here and other Forums... Tried the following workaround.
1. sudo /usr/bin/defaults write /Library/Preferences....
2. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2143988?start=105&tstart=0
3. Add .local to all of my Network Interface etc. etc..

Is there away to reduce the login time?

Thanks so much.

7 REPLIES 7

franton
Valued Contributor III

The extra login time is caused by the Mac trying to authenticate against the AD first, timing out then resorting to cached credentials. I know of no way to adjust the timeout, and doing so would probably cause other issues if set to aggressively anyway.

mreaso
New Contributor III

Thanks, @franton. Can we try it?

franton
Valued Contributor III
I know of no way to adjust the timeout, and doing so would probably cause other issues if set to aggressively anyway.

emboldened for clarity.

mreaso
New Contributor III

Oh okay. It's just that 40-55 seconds login is really slow. most of our users hated it. Once connected to the network is really fine after fine tuning the DSBindTimeout. The thing is I can't find any better suggestion in most of the forums.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@mreaso

The common fix in this scenario is to lower the LDAP lookup timeout so it "gives up" quicker. I don't have the details to hand but from memory it's a login window key.

As @franton mentioned, this is a risky thing to do. If you set it too low, the login window will always give up too quickly and you won't be able to authenticate against the domain at all. Apple may also overwrite your customizations at any point with an OS update, or just remove the functionality.

Josh_Smith
Contributor III

Lowering the DSBindTimeout value has been very successful for me. I've been using it for several years and haven't found any issues.

10 seconds is a conservative value and a good place to start. Think about it this way: If the Mac doesn't find the domain within 10 seconds....whats the chances it is going to find it? If you are on the LAN does it ever take 10 seconds to login? If yes then you could set a higher value, but most likely 10 will get the job done.

FWIW this setting has survived 10.9-10.10-10.11 upgrades for me.

sudo /usr/bin/defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow DSBindTimeout -int 10

mbezzo
Contributor III

We have been using the method @Josh.Smith mentioned with great success.