Counting Problems?

tsossong
New Contributor III

Hello Community,

did you ever recognize the following problem?

We have a policy running counting the bad battery notebooks. This policy is also shown in Dashboard. For weeks the Dashboard shows a number of 3. Now I know I replaced 2 laptops batteries and let them do a Inventory Update...it still counted 3. Then I looked into the Smart Group and all I got was one (wich should be right).

b9270cb0cb6d4f05bc6c28dc8e0f7a9f

This is not only with this smart group. Its with a couple more.

4 REPLIES 4

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@tsossong i've only seen issues like that when there is a DB issue or something.

mikeh
Contributor II

@tsossong I've seen Smart Groups regularly calculate the membership incorrectly by adding computers that don't belong to the SG. Very rarely with the quantity differences, though. I would agree with @bentoms; maybe run a database check?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Are you talking about a dashboard items view showing an incorrect number? If so, sorry, but (long) known issue. One that JAMF has not addressed, which more or less makes adding things like policies, Smart Groups and other stuff useless on the Dashboard.
Its especially apparent when using Smart Groups or policies that utilize Smart Groups as its scope, which of course tends to be most of them. I don't know how it actually does the calculation, but many of us have complained about the inaccurate counts shown there. See these two threads for more on the issue:
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=2949
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=9182

EDIT: I should just add that I haven't used any dashboard items now for several JSS revisions, basically because I gave up on using them due to wild inaccuracies, so I don't know if things are better now under the current release or any of the previous ones. Its possible its improved a bit, but given your post, it sounds like its still an issue.

tsossong
New Contributor III

Hi, thanks to all your responses. I mentioned a database error too. We ran a quick diagnose on it and it shows no errors. Now we will try to find a day we do not need the server to run a full diagnose for a couple of hours.

Its not only in dashboard items. Its over the whole system. I recognized the issue in Static Groups too today. Create a Static Group, put some (in my example) computers in, hit save. Delete one or two of this computers, hit save again. The number in the headline keeps the same, the list shows the correct computers still in the group.

Its maybe not that big issue technically if just the headline isnt actual but the group function is working correctly (get in and out of a scope). But I do smart groups for a little bit of inventory too and dont want to count the list manually ( :-) ) and my Dashboard items gave me a quick look to report actual numbers to my boss.

EDIT: The problem encounters only on decreasing numbers. If some devices adds the group the counter counts as expected.