Identify which iTunes account is associated with a user/device

bosstone75
New Contributor III

I'm managing iOS devices (mainly iPads). Is there a way in Casper to identify what iTunes account is associated with a User or a Device. Surprisingly enough, I'm running into a few instances where people don't remember what iTunes account they accepted the VPP Invitation for.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Emmert
Valued Contributor

You tie usernames to iTunes accounts through the VPP program - because of the way that's set to protect user privacy, you cannot get an iTunes ID from the iPad. The only thing you can check is that it's actively logged into one, and if that account matches their VPP account. This is by design so people can use "hotdude69@whatever.com" on a program device and retain their personally owned content alongside the organizational VPP content.

You can check if what they're currently using is correct or incorrect, but it's on them to remember the email address. Go to Users, find someone, then click on the vpp section to find out if they match up. You can always redo the invite easily if they don't remember.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Are you talking about Macs or iOS devices? It might be possible with a Mac, but I'm not so sure on the iOS side.

bosstone75
New Contributor III

Thanks. iOS Devices.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Ah, OK. I had a feeling. I don't know how you'd determine that unless its something in the MDM spec that can already be captured, but I have a funny feeling that isn't part of the spec. Maybe someone else who manages iOS devices will know for sure and can chime in though.

Emmert
Valued Contributor

You tie usernames to iTunes accounts through the VPP program - because of the way that's set to protect user privacy, you cannot get an iTunes ID from the iPad. The only thing you can check is that it's actively logged into one, and if that account matches their VPP account. This is by design so people can use "hotdude69@whatever.com" on a program device and retain their personally owned content alongside the organizational VPP content.

You can check if what they're currently using is correct or incorrect, but it's on them to remember the email address. Go to Users, find someone, then click on the vpp section to find out if they match up. You can always redo the invite easily if they don't remember.