Casper Imaging cant restore due to insufficient disk space?

Not applicable

Hello all,

Recently we deployed a school with JAMF software. We've been busy creating images to deploy with casper imaging. In this case we setup a single upgraded MacBook Pro with SSD with some default software, and created a image using disk utility. After this we uploaded the image thru casper admin and we made a workflow, tested the setup and all worked fine. At the time the MBP had a 250gb samsung ssd and the image was about 61GB.

Now, the MBPs have all been upgraded with a 250GB SSD for speed, where before they all had a stock 500GB SATA. After upgrade we tried to deploy the same image however we get a error on all MBPs saying the image can't be deploy because of insufficient disk space. This is very odd, and I can't figure out where to start looking to troubleshoot the issue. Is this a check that can be disabled?

cd8fc20f5f4a49d09ea7d2c2e53a2c23
(image attached is from the MacBook we made the image with).

2 REPLIES 2

zinkotheclown
Contributor II

I'm thinking that maybe the dmg volume size might be a tad larger than the hard drive? When I use hdiutil to create an image, I try to keep the volume size +/- 5 gb the actual size of the contents.

Check out https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202841 and concentrate on "Advanced: Image is larger than the target volume?"

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

There's always moving to a modular imaging approach using a non-booted OS (created via AutoDMG or other such software). Volume size would no longer matter so long as the installers had enough space to deploy after.