Static Mobile Device Groups and Apple Classroom

rickhamilton620
New Contributor III

So I'm starting to work with Apple Classroom as a potential replacement for Casper Focus in our district.

We currently have class sets of iPads and they aren't assigned to individual students.

Right now we create static mobile device groups with the teacher's name and assign each set of iPads to a group.

I have classroom working to a point - it can open on the teacher device and see the available classes, but none of the iPads in the device group assigned to the teacher show up. I checked here and apparently people were hoping that Classroom would support device groups by now.

Has anyone gotten it working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

plawrence
Contributor II

@hamiltonr

My understanding is that Apple Classroom either requires devices assigned to individual users or devices configured as Shared iPads. The devices then get send a Education Configuration Profile that contains all he class information.

Apple's classroom documentation

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

plawrence
Contributor II

@hamiltonr

My understanding is that Apple Classroom either requires devices assigned to individual users or devices configured as Shared iPads. The devices then get send a Education Configuration Profile that contains all he class information.

Apple's classroom documentation

rickhamilton620
New Contributor III

@plawrence Thanks! Looks like we'll stick with Focus for now. Sorry for such a late reply, it's been busy.

timlings
Contributor

Or just assign the shared devices to a dummy user in JSS and then add that user to the class. That seemed to get it working for us!

Zeek
Contributor

@hamiltonr How did you get apple classroom to work? Did you have to export any student list???

rickhamilton620
New Contributor III

@Zeek Sorry for the late reply, we decided to stick with JAMF Focus for now.