Setting / Verifying Mac SUS problem...

ChrisM100
New Contributor III

I've set up a Software Update Server and pointed clients at it in the JSS. This seems to work fine on most clients, but on a few it's still going to Apple / App Store for updates.

if I run the command to check where it's pointed:

sudo defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL

I get this response every time:

The domain/default pair of (/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate, CatalogURL) does not exist

This is on El Cap and Yosemite clients. Not sure if it's something wrong with that command, I'd expect it to return something?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

That response means the value isn't set, which is the case on my Mac so I would assume that means "get updates from Apple".

How are you setting the SUS address? Are you able to verify if the setting has been applied to all devices?

View solution in original post

ChrisM100
New Contributor III

Thank you for responding David.

I've established the cause and rectified it now - my colleague had deployed via a policy applied to a smart group. The criteria needed tweaking to include the affected Macs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

That response means the value isn't set, which is the case on my Mac so I would assume that means "get updates from Apple".

How are you setting the SUS address? Are you able to verify if the setting has been applied to all devices?

ChrisM100
New Contributor III

Thank you for responding David.

I've established the cause and rectified it now - my colleague had deployed via a policy applied to a smart group. The criteria needed tweaking to include the affected Macs.