Casper Imaging stuck at Authenticating (USB external drives)

wdpickle
Contributor

We have just gotten in new Mac Air machines and are trying to image them. Some of our older imaging drives will not boot the new hardware. To resolve that issue I imaged the USB drives with a new image, then synced them and tried to image a new Mac Air. The USB drives boot, I log in and launch Casper Imaging. Casper Imaging starts to load and gets to the "Casper Imaging wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this." popup. The user name is auto populated, so I type in a password. Casper Imaging the flashes a message that it is restarting and goes right back to authenticating with a popup that says "Casper Imaging wants to make changes....", an endless loop. I thought I might have a bad image, so I tried 3 different images. No joy. I thought it might be the user, so I tried 3 different users. No Joy. Hard drive? Yep, I tried 3 different hard drives (1 thunderbolt, 1 USB 3 and 1 USB 2). No Joy.
We are running 9.92, so I was using that version to image. I noticed that our old drives that are working are using 9.82. I copied 9.82 onto the externals and get the same results, endless loop of authenticating.
I have deleted the keychain and rebooted to the USB drive (to see if I had a corrupt keychain). No joy.
Can someone point me to the simple step I am missing? Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@wdpickle how was the USB created?

You can create them with AutoCasperNBI & it runs as root. Maybe root will help?

wdpickle
Contributor

I used Casper Imaging to create the USB drives. I have not (ever) used AutoCasperNBI, until this point our method has worked and I am in the mindset of if it ain't broke...
Since its broke, I will try AutoCasperNBI and see how that works. I have heard and read good things about it, just haven't need to look elsewhere until now.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@wdpickle totally understand.

I'm in a similar mindset, but coming from ACNBI.

I know folks have used it for this purpose & had success.

Either way, hope it works!

wdpickle
Contributor

Thanks. I am going thru the read me now. I will let you know

mahughe
Contributor

When I make external CasperShares for imaging I just create a bootable drive manually OS dependent on the hardware of the devices to image. Never have an issue with them booting, running Casper Imaging, etc..just a pain in the @$$ to keep current to your imaging apps used.

vijayc
New Contributor

Hi wdpickle,

Can you share document how to make Capser image bootable external drive