New Application version installation policy ??

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

I currently have a policy that installs an application version 20. Now the application is at version 21.

in Casper Admin I double click the version 20.pkg and go to the options tab there is a checkbox that says 'substitute package' ?? I have to CHECK 'install only if architecture type is (intel/powerpc)' to be able to CHECK 'substitute package'.

do I now choose the version 21.pkg ? or should i just create a new version 21 policy and disable version 20 ?

or am i confused on what this 'substitute package' option is for? is it for when running Casper Imaging ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

krispayne
Contributor

I think the substitute package is for if the client machine doesn't meet the requirements you've set forth (architecture, os, etc).

If an application is updated, you need a new package. You can replace the package in configurations by right clicking on the package you want to replace and then selecting "Replace in all configurations with..." and choosing the new, updated package.

Personally, I'd stay away from the "Install Only if" section of the options. I haven't seen a production PowerPC model in many years. Barely even seen one in the recycling bin.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

krispayne
Contributor

I think the substitute package is for if the client machine doesn't meet the requirements you've set forth (architecture, os, etc).

If an application is updated, you need a new package. You can replace the package in configurations by right clicking on the package you want to replace and then selecting "Replace in all configurations with..." and choosing the new, updated package.

Personally, I'd stay away from the "Install Only if" section of the options. I haven't seen a production PowerPC model in many years. Barely even seen one in the recycling bin.