Retina iMac, inDesign CC display bug?

Phil
New Contributor

We recently rolled out iMacs to our design teams to replace old Towers, we have found an issue with iMac Retina display and InDesign CC.

All inDesign files on an iMac Retina display open using the High Quality screen setting as default. This means that all elements on each page have to be fully rendered which is causing performance lag etc.

We have tried to alter the default setting in the InDesign preference panel but it will not save the change and defaults back to high quality.

We have confirmed this on a number of iMacs under different user accounts.

However we also tested the issue on a Mac Pro Tower running the same version of El Capitan (10.11.5 (15F34) )and InDesign CC (kMDItemVersion = "11.4.0.90”), the Mac Pro’s are fine they do not default to high quality and if you change the preferences it saves them.

It appears to be a problem with the new iMacs which may relate to the retina display, the reason I say this is that we had a similar problem with the Barcode software we use. If we run the same version of the Barcoder and EL Cap on an iMac and a Mac Pro, the software cannot save to Tif, Jpeg, pdf etc only to *.ai Adode Illustrator files on an iMac but if we generate the same barcode on the Tower you can save to any of the formats.

Anyone else come across this, any suggestions?

Cheers
Phil

1 REPLY 1

Phil
New Contributor

I posted this on a couple of other forums and have been given a workaround.

Disable GPU Rendering in InDesign's Preferences

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bug: Indesign defaults to High Quality viewing |Adobe Community
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2181282

This question is Not Answered.
kpolansky82 Jul 13, 2016 12:04 PM
I just downloaded the latest Indesign update, and when I open files it defaults to 'High Quality' view instead of 'Typical' view like it used to. I work with files that have very high res imagery and I have to sit and wait for every image to load (at High Quality viewing) before I can do anything, which kills my efficiency. When I try adjusting the preferences to 'Typical' viewing, it doesn't stick. Please fix this bug Adobe.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Apparently it’s a feature, not a bug.

Adobe InDesign GPU Performance feature enhancements
https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/gpu_performance.html