Office 2016 - "installer: the install failed..."

mapurcel
Contributor III

I've been caching the Office 2016 package on machines and then installing through policy but on about 25% I am seeing failure with the below in the policy.

installer: Installing at base path /
installer: The install failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)

Anyone else been seeing this? I can't seem to figure out whats causing it...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

That's a generic error message. Have a look at the install.log and you'll likely find more clues.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

That's a generic error message. Have a look at the install.log and you'll likely find more clues.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Not sure what you're using as your distribution point but we've seen lots of issues with different types of https servers delivering the office installer (and other larger installers). Lots of intermittent failures.

We've had the best success rate with HTTP server using Apache on Linux.

mapurcel
Contributor III

@dpertschi thanks!, I checked the logs and indeed found the problem, clients with not enough hard drive space to run the installer.

@davidacland yes, we've moved to Linux JDS as our preferred method of installation as well, we still get some failures but overall its been more reliable..