Cross-platform Desktop Notifications?

mbezzo
Contributor III

Hi All,
Looking for any feedback on a product that can pop-up a window to notify users of something that's cross platform. I see a few products geared towards education and emergencies but wondering what people are using/what they think. I used to be at a place and we had Dell KACE which provided this feature across win/mac - it worked pretty well. I don't have that in my current environment so looking for something that may fill the gap. Of course, there's ways to do this with Push notifications on the Mac, and other methods on Windows, but looking for a unified product for both platforms (Linux would be awesome if possible!)

Thanks,
Matt

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I wish I knew of something I could recommend. It might not be easy to find something to fit the bill, but then again, maybe not. You may be looking at something built in Java, since it has the ability to generate windows on all platforms it supports.
I think Adobe has some products built in Air that can do that as well, but I don't know of anything out there you can use for your own messaging purposes.

Hopefully someone will point you in the right direction.

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

You may be interested in the "Craft your own GUIs with Python and Tkinter" session that @brysontyrrell presented at MacAdmins this year. I quite enjoyed it, and the tools used appear to be universal amongst platforms that include Python and the relevant libraries.

It looks like the slides are up, but the video is not yet: http://macadmins.psu.edu/conference/resources/

BrysonTyrrell
Contributor II

The video can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb1YFgHqUZ8

One thing to keep in mind is that Python does not come with Windows, you'll need to install it (and preferably a version of 2.7.x to keep it in line with most Linux platforms and macOS).

mbezzo
Contributor III

Hi All,
Thanks, for the suggestions. I was in your talk actually! Was just really hoping to NOT develop this on my own. :) I'll keep looking and post anything I find.

Thanks!
Matt

georgecm12
Contributor III

If you use Sassafras' KeyServer, it has a built in broadcast message functionality, and that should send to anyone who has the KeyAccess client running on their computer.

mbezzo
Contributor III

thanks @georgecm12 we aren't using that sadly!

The hunt continues.

Thanks,