No Apple ID?

lizmowens
New Contributor III

This may be a silly question, but if I'm assigning apps (both iPad and MacBook Air) to a device instead of a user, do I even need to have an Apple ID on each device?

12 REPLIES 12

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

Only silly question is the one unasked. No you don't need an Apple ID per se when using device based assignment. They can however log into the App Store with an Apple ID if they want or need to, to install other apps they've already bought or free apps without bothering you to install them.

lizmowens
New Contributor III

Thank you @adamcodega If I'm understanding how the new managed ID's with Apple School Manager work, students wouldn't have access to the app store anyway. If that's actually the case I'm trying to figure out why I would bother creating those...

mmcallister
Contributor II

iCloud backup is one thing that would still require an Apple ID.

lizmowens
New Contributor III

@mmcallister , good point. However, we are a GAFE school and we would prefer our students keep everything in that one cloud so that could actually be a benefit of not logging in with an Apple ID.

hsekiv
Contributor

The managed Apple IDs also work for Shared iPads. If you're using Shared iPads, then I believe the Apple ID (managed) is required to save the individual student's data to their own iCloud account.

strider_knh
Contributor II

If your distribute iBooks or iTunes U content then that is still AppleID based and not device based. That so far seems to be the only reason we have found to have AppleIDs. We don't actually distribute any of that content so we have no problems.

bumbletech
Contributor III

@lizmowens You might still want to use the AppleIDs for the full device/user profile backup. Not all apps allow settings to be saved to locations like Google Drive.

lizmowens
New Contributor III

@strider.knh, good to know about the iBooks. We do have one teacher right now who publishes iBooks, so I may have to look at creating managed IDs for at least those students.

russeller
Contributor III

@lizmowens if your teacher is creating her/his own iBooks you could use the JSS to distribute those under Mobiles Devices > eBooks > New > 779d2fc6d80e4847801de1e65dc8059a

Zeek
Contributor

I think you will also need to configured "Apple Configurator 2" to be able to assign app to devices.

eric_difulvio
New Contributor II

Sorry to revisit an old thread but I have a question on this. We are deciding on whether or not to use Apple IDs which we really don't need with VPP and DEP. However, the issue was brought up that we want to continue to use iMessage without Apple IDs. I thought we were able to do this but I can't figure it out. On my test phone, iMessage is turned on but greyed out. My restriction profile is set to "Allow iMessage". However, no text messages are using iMessage. Confused...

galionschools
Contributor

@eric.difulvio Is this a Managed Apple ID? If so is FaceTime & iMessage turned on in Apple School Manager?