Script to suppress Mac Office first run dialog window

HelpDeskWarrior
New Contributor II

I am attempting to use the commands below to suppress the Mac Office 2016 first run dialog box when any Office application gets run for the first time on the Mac.

I works perfectly when run manually but when I try to run it through a script and profile, it just sits at pending and never completes. I am sure I am using all the right setting in the profile.

Any help?

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Word kSubUIAppCompletedFirstRunSetup1507 -bool true
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Excel kSubUIAppCompletedFirstRunSetup1507 -bool true
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.PowerPoint kSubUIAppCompletedFirstRunSetup1507 -bool true
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Outlook kSubUIAppCompletedFirstRunSetup1507 -bool true
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.onenote.mac kSubUIAppCompletedFirstRunSetup1507 -bool true
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Outlook FirstRunExperienceCompletedO15 -bool true
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.onenote.mac FirstRunExperienceCompletedO15 -bool true

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@HelpDeskWarrior

At what point do you run your script? I use Rich's script here as part of my first run script( haven't had a chance to switch to profiles,but may once we upgrade to 9.93) and the settings are applied for all users.Could you provide a bit more info

Larry

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@HelpDeskWarrior

At what point do you run your script? I use Rich's script here as part of my first run script( haven't had a chance to switch to profiles,but may once we upgrade to 9.93) and the settings are applied for all users.Could you provide a bit more info

Larry

BenL
New Contributor III

If my memory recalls that's what we had before I changed us to config profiles with @talkingmoose scripts. Are you running it as a post install to the Office package(s) or are you running it separate?

You should check @talkingmoose Office setup it's extremely customizable and works great. https://github.com/talkingmoose/Outlook-Exchange-Setup-5

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@HelpDeskWarrior When deploying via a profile, how are you scoping it?

FWIW, we deploy profiles with those keys to computer level & they work for us.

boberito
Valued Contributor

https://github.com/rtrouton/rtrouton_scripts/tree/master/rtrouton_scripts/disable_office_2016_first_run_settings - enjoy! Also if you go up a level or so all of Rich's scripts are super useful.

HelpDeskWarrior
New Contributor II

At this stage we are trying to run it 'once per computer' and 'recurring check in' on the computers we have already rolled out. I scope it to a specific set of computers. I can successfully run it out of self service but it doesn't seem to complete when run in a profile.

CapU
Contributor III

This is what I use. The script is part of the policy

Set Office 2016 First Run Items as Completed

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Word kSubUIAppCompletedFirstRunSetup1507 -bool true
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Excel kSubUIAppCompletedFirstRunSetup1507 -bool true
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.PowerPoint kSubUIAppCompletedFirstRunSetup1507 -bool true
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.onenote.mac kSubUIAppCompletedFirstRunSetup1507 -bool true

Set Office 2016 Auto Update to Manual

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.autoupdate2 HowToCheck "Manual"
rm -r /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/

stutz
Contributor

HelpDeskWarrior
New Contributor II

Thanks for all your very helpful and prompt responses. The script that @LSinNY posted in the first response has done the trick.

Thanks again :)