Question mark icon on dock after FileVault Login (AD bound)

stutz
Contributor

Does anyone else have issues with the question mark showing up on their dock after signing into the FileVault screen? My computers are bound to AD and its configured to mount the users network drive at login. The question mark goes away and shows the proper network drive folder on the dock when signing into the computer on the username and password screen. Just seems like when you log into the computer from the FileVault screen it cannot find the path to the network drive on login.

Anyone have suggestion on how to correct that?

2 REPLIES 2

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I get that too and the explanation for our situation is that because FileVault prevents the computer from getting on our 802.1x network until some point after the user enters their credentials, the computer needs time to authenticate and get on the network and sometimes it doesn't get a valid IP until AFTER the user's desktop and dock are loaded. If the computers weren't protected with Filevault (and/or didn't have a 802.1x barrier, and/or slow WiFi hotspots in the building), the computer would get an IP long before the login process and users' network folder would definitely mount and appear on the dock. Your particular situation may vary but the odds are that it's a combination of FileVault and network connectivity.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Yep. I usually disable the auto AD drive mapping for this reason (Use UNC path from Active Directory to derive network home location), and replace it with a script in the dock that mounts the users' home drive when clicked. This also works much nicer over a VPN ;-)