JSS on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS?

weldon
New Contributor

I'm setting up a new load balancer in front of our JSS and was going to use tomcat8 since the 9.93 Linux install guide recommends that. However, the same guide also recommends Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, which doesn't have tomcat8 in the package manager.

I decided to setup 16.04 LTS to make it simpler as I can just "apt-get install tomcat8" there.

Is anyone else running 9.93 on 16.04 with tomcat8? Any gotchas that I should know about?

9 REPLIES 9

flyboy
Contributor

I'm running 9.93 on 16.04 for testing purposes. Tomcat 8 was installed as part of the JSS install, and the only issues I've had so far are related to my environment, not the JSS itself.

franton
Valued Contributor III

It's not on JAMF's recommended OS list and for that reason alone, it should be avoided until it is on the list.

There's a lot of changes under the hood. init.d and upstart are gone, replaced by systemd. There's a reason why my JSS in a Box project doesn't support this OS and has to manually install Tomcat 8 for 9.93 onwards.

peterlbk
Contributor

Hi guys, working on that problem as well. We have a setup with a manual install on Ubuntu 14.

When trying to apt tomcat 8, it's a no go.
Running a vm with Ubuntu 16 and manually installing JSS seems to be ok.

So would JAMF support a manually installed Ubuntu 16 with tomcat 8?

franton
Valued Contributor III

Which tomcat 8? If it's Tomcat 8.5 then don't bother. Tomcat 8.0.3x will work nicely.

It's unlikely you'll get support as Ubuntu 16 is not on the supported OS list as of 9.96.

peterlbk
Contributor

Well, tomcat 8 of course. We know 8.5 is no good at this time.

Would be nice to get Ubuntu 16 in the supported OSes - maybe just for the manual installs?

weldon
New Contributor

I was successful in getting tomcat 8 running on ubuntu 14.04. I am using two load balanced tomcat servers in front of our MySQL server. So far, so good.

franton
Valued Contributor III

<humble brag> All done automatically here: https://github.com/franton/JSS-In-A-Box </humble brag>

peterlbk
Contributor

@franton Sorry to say, an edited version of that script is in use by us to manage our clustered environment...

To all other guys here, it's a golden script!

franton
Valued Contributor III

Glad it's being used! All bug fixes gratefully received!