VPP to the device and VPP to the user transition bug?

Malcolm
Contributor II

I have a bug plaguing my environment which needs a resolution. In an environment where I shouldn't have to touch devices, (once there configured), I have never been so busy.

From my observations, it would appear users who have been previously VPP invited, are being prompted for app store credentials to install a pushed app, which has been configured as a VPP to the device distributed app.

All users who had been previously VPP invited, had been removed from their invitation groups, so theoretically their VPP user invitation license revoked.

Despite deleting the user, and the device from the MDM, and reenrolling the device and user, as well as selecting erase all settings and reseting their home screen layout, and re-enrolling, the prompt still appears, once I deleted the suspect app and re-enrolled the device against the user.

What is more unusual is the device is also having apps pushed to it, that aren't even set to force install.

Presently I don't have the option to erase the iPad, but I will have the conversation with the owner at some point to see if they are willing to do so.

My IOS environment is plagued with similar issues to this and I would love to know how many others have similar problems? I would also like to know if this is an issue on the JSS side or if is a bug that is associated to the device, since doing the vpp to user enrolment. So I can come to some sort of means to rectify the issue.

3 REPLIES 3

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@Malcolm I hope you can find a complete solution soon.

If you hadn't deleted the user, I would have asked you which apps were assigned on the VPP tab for them. When they originally accepted the VPP Invitation with their Apple ID they made a connection with Apple and Apple gave Casper a hashed token for that connection. The Invitation at that point effectively became unused as far as the actual connection is concerned.

It is possible they still have a license from VPP (have they checked in their iTunes 'Purchased'?) If so I'd have them accept another Invitation (if possible) so Casper knows about the connection and then break it with the 'Redo VPP Registration' button.

It seems to me that it is more of a licensing issue with Apple than something wrong with the device..

chris

Malcolm
Contributor II

@cdenesha I have another to do a test with, so I will try that.

This one didn't have any apps assigned to the user in the user section.

In some instances I have seen links to their existing Apple ID, with expired credit card details or requiring payment information updated, or the apple ID being locked you, despite the apps being pushed as VPP to the device, my suspicion is, if the apple ID has had previously directly downloaded the app, that casper is telling it to install from the apple id instead of as VPP to the device.

Malcolm
Contributor II

@cdenesha
I did find with this one, that despite the app was deleted, and their was no app store, the app store app still thought it was installing the app.

I did do the invitation process, and deleted it after cancelling the invitation as I dont have their apple ID.

I will try and get my hands on the other device I have recently seen with the same problem, and check the app store for the suspect apps.