Minor issues after machine is imaged

Questline
New Contributor

Hello, I'm new to Casper and I'm running into a few problems after the machine is imaged. I'll layout my process and versions.

JSS and Casper Admin are running 9.93

1. Downloaded El Captian from App store 2.Dragged the download onto AutoDMG to create image 3.Launch AutoCasperNBI and selected the image AutoDMG created and selected Casper Imaging. 4.Launched Casper Admin incorporated the Image created from AutoCasperNBI into an existing Profile, re-compiled and saved.
  2. Turn on macBookPro holding Option down and selecting the appropriate Image
  3. Boots into Casper Imaging check the box to erase Hard Drive and Boot to Targeted Partition after, and local Admin account as well.

All of that goes fine the image process works however when I first login an error appears "A file operation for CoreTelephony tracing has failed, you may be out of disk space. Details 'Error opening file /tmp/ct.shutdown, err = Operation not permitted"

I can fix this issue by performing the command sudo chmod 1777 /tmp, but I'd rather eliminate that step and understand why I get that error, is there a step I missed to assign correct permissions? In step 6 I did try and use the fix permission button under advance, but that didn't resolve the issue.

The 2nd issue I have is Casper Imaging run on startup when a user logs in and prompts for admin credentials to make changes. Is there a need for Casper Imaging to run when a user logs in? I'm guessing it's incorporated into the startup process, but do I need it there once the machine is imaged and if I do is there a way to prevent it from asking for credentials?

Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

bmarks
Contributor II

To me, unless it's a typo, it sounds like you are imaging your Macs by putting on them the image you created with AutoCasperNBI. You would want to put on them the image you created with AutoDMG.

1. Create base OS DMG using an installer app from the App Store with AutoDMG
  2. Use AutoCasperNBI to create your NetBoot image using the base OS DMG you created with AutoDMG
  3. Use Casper Admin to upload the same base OS DMG into your JSS and create an imaging profile
  4. NetBoot each Mac, open Casper Imaging and select the imaging configuration you just made that contains the base OS DMG you also just made with AtuoDMG

After reading your steps, it sounds like for step 3 you are uploading the image you created with AutoCasperNBI into your JSS and creating an imaging configuration base off of that.

View solution in original post

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@Questline you have two things that you are trying to accomplish: image a machine and create a NetBoot image to use. Let's break those down into two workflows.

For the image to use on your machines:

1. Download OS from App Store.
  2. Use AutoDMG to create a DMG of the OS you downloaded in step 1.
  3. Upload the DMG you created in step 2 into Casper Admin.
  4. Create a configuration in Casper Admin for imaging your computers.

For the NBI image:

1. Take the DMG you created in step 2 above.
  2. Add the DMG into AutoCasperNBI to create an NBI set.
  3. Upload the NBI created in step 2 to your NetBoot server.

Hopefully that make sense. @bmarks said basically the same thing, I just thought breaking it out into two workflows might make it easier to see.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@Questline first off, welcome to Casper and to the community! I'm sure we can help you get sorted.

You've gone down a little too far before adding a DMG to Casper Admin. What I mean is, once you've created the DMG using AutoDMG, you want to add that to Casper Admin. The DMG that comes out of AutoDMG is the OS image that you will want to apply to machines that are being imaged via Casper Imaging and having their drives erased.

The next steps that you complete, using AutoCasperNBI are only for creating a NetBoot Image (NBI) for booting systems off of. You upload the resulting NBI to a NetBoot server and then boot your systems off of it.

This is why Casper Imaging is launching on your systems, because you are taking the NBI image and using it to deploy to your machines.

Does that make sense?

Questline
New Contributor

Yes and No, I am trying to perform a NetInstall to image the machines if I simply added the .dmg autodmg created to the Netboot folder it wouldn't have casper image which allows me to pick a profile. Would I need to modify the .dmg with Composer and add the Casper Imaging to the dmg? Thanks for helping me out.

bmarks
Contributor II

To me, unless it's a typo, it sounds like you are imaging your Macs by putting on them the image you created with AutoCasperNBI. You would want to put on them the image you created with AutoDMG.

1. Create base OS DMG using an installer app from the App Store with AutoDMG
  2. Use AutoCasperNBI to create your NetBoot image using the base OS DMG you created with AutoDMG
  3. Use Casper Admin to upload the same base OS DMG into your JSS and create an imaging profile
  4. NetBoot each Mac, open Casper Imaging and select the imaging configuration you just made that contains the base OS DMG you also just made with AtuoDMG

After reading your steps, it sounds like for step 3 you are uploading the image you created with AutoCasperNBI into your JSS and creating an imaging configuration base off of that.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@Questline you have two things that you are trying to accomplish: image a machine and create a NetBoot image to use. Let's break those down into two workflows.

For the image to use on your machines:

1. Download OS from App Store.
  2. Use AutoDMG to create a DMG of the OS you downloaded in step 1.
  3. Upload the DMG you created in step 2 into Casper Admin.
  4. Create a configuration in Casper Admin for imaging your computers.

For the NBI image:

1. Take the DMG you created in step 2 above.
  2. Add the DMG into AutoCasperNBI to create an NBI set.
  3. Upload the NBI created in step 2 to your NetBoot server.

Hopefully that make sense. @bmarks said basically the same thing, I just thought breaking it out into two workflows might make it easier to see.

Questline
New Contributor

Thanks for the responses after rereading your answers I realized where my mistake was. I uploaded the wrong .dmg for the configuration. I used the one created by AutoCasperNBI instead of the one from AutoDMG.

Thanks a bunch! I wonder if this will resolve my first issue.