Paper cut and El Capitan

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hi Folks,

A quick concern that I have just run into. I see that Papercut 15.2 IS compatible with El Capitan. We are on version 15.1. A year or so ago I had downloaded a paper cut script to unpause the printers for Yosemite.

My bad as it didn't occur to me that this might be an issue with El Capitan.

Is anyone else using Papercut with El Capitan and do you have any pointers or guidance on this? School starts here in a week so I am a very nervous IT admin at the moment.

Thank you so much!!

9 REPLIES 9

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

What do you mean by using Papercut with El Capitan? Is that the Papercut server or do you mean with the Papercut client? Also are you talking about u pausing os x print queues on the server or the client? What script were you using in Yosemite that doesn't work in El Capitan?

And lastly the obvious, why not upgrade papercut to the latest version on both server and clients?

mconners
Valued Contributor

Good Morning @bpavlov. My understanding is, PaperClient client 15.1, which is what we have, isn't compatible with El Capitan. Supposedly it will pause printers when trying to print with it. However, I did get the latest version of 15, version 15.3. So I am going to test this in our current setup.

There was a script to un-pause printers for those that use PaperCut, looking back, it appears to have been written back in Dec. 2014 by Luis Fernando Palumbo de Oliveira and I found it on JAMF Nation. It worked great last year, but no so much this year in my testing. In fact, failures left and right while on El Capitan.

Moving to version 16 isn't possible as the team working on PaperCut in general doesn't exist and the sponsor on this project has decided to simply maintain what we have. So, I will be working with 15.3 and get this rolling for us.

Thanks again!!

millersc
Valued Contributor

Is 15.2 an option? Currently using it with the un-pause script and working here. I'm also waiting on the upgrade from the team handling that.

mconners
Valued Contributor

@millersc that might be what I need. For some unknown reason, PaperCut wasn't even on my radar of applications to test with El Capitan. Every other version of a ton of software was.

I reached out to the company and they sent me the link to 15.3 which I am hopeful, can be installed onto our existing deployment without any catches. Testing now and crossing every finger and digit I can find as the semester starts next Monday and faculty are back today.

Brad_G
Contributor II

Are you sure it's PaperCut that's the issue? I just rolled out El Cap and installed PCClient v15.0 (didn't get the memo that we'd upgraded to v16.1 on the server side). I know there are different ways to setup PaperCut (hold/release, etc). We moved to the follow-me printing model a couple years ago so it may be completely different that what you've got going on.

We use Active Directory and map printers via script using lpadmin in our environment (or at least the Macs I manage).

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello @Brad_G and thank you for getting back to me. I have been told a variety of different things about getting this to work. One minute Paper Cut folks are saying it doesn't matter as long as the server is on a Windows server. Before that, I was told the client and server need to match. Then told that 15.1 won't work with El Cap so I am at a loss on what will work with what at this point. Half of out student Macs are on El Cap and I might have to go back to Yosemite if I cannot find a consistent way of getting this to work.

What we are seeing so far, the client is there, it loads the window showing our balances and when we print, the server is holding the job for authorization from the user to confirm the print costs. The problem is, the Paper Cut confirmation window never appears and the job is stuck in a paused state on the server. So unless we can get this working every time, I cannot have El Cap running. The same applications with Yosemite and PCClient 15.1 works fine. So I will keep testing. Thanks for sharing @Brad_G.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I don't have too much for you other than the fact that we're running PaperCut client 15.3 on OS X 10.11.x on v16 Papercut Server (Running on Windows Server 2012r2)

CapU
Contributor III

We are using a mix of Yosemite and El Capitan running 16.2 with no problems. I am testing Sierra. If I set up the printer thru Bonjour, I can print, however set up the printer on the client to use the paper cut server and the printer goes into pause mode. Anyone else seen this?

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

@CapU Yes. I've seen this if you use a driver on the PaperCut server that isn't liked. While I'm no expert on Papercut I fixed those issues by moving to xCompanies "Global PostScript" driver. In my case, that's both Xerox and HP. All has bene well since. I'm sure someone here can give a good reason as to why. The only reason I can give you is that someone from ACDI told me to do it, and it worked.