can't access localhost cups interface

jhuls
Contributor III

It's been quite some time since I've done this but if I remember right, as long as I've entered the following at the terminal, I should be able to access localhost:631

cupsctl WebInterface=Yes

Instead I'm getting a message that I can't connect to the server. Ideas? This is on 10.11.6.

6 REPLIES 6

SGill
Contributor III

Did you run cupsctl with sudo?

I show it to be working here from 10.11.648e393e988b749bda09f93ddd0439623

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Yep still works for me with sudo on 10.11.6.

jhuls
Contributor III

@SGill Yes, I did use sudo. I tried it from another system and it worked like expected so for some reason it's broke on my own system. If someone has some ideas as to how to troubleshoot and address it, I'm all ears.

SGill
Contributor III

Does this command fail for you on that workstation, too?:

sudo launchctl start org.cups.cupsd

tomr
New Contributor III

Are there any proxy servers involved on the system that's not working?

Also to rule out any networking related issues, it's possible that the machine could be trying to resolve that URL to an actual address, try disconnecting the machine from any ethernet connections and turning off wifi. Then try to load the cups web interface again.

We used to have this issue all the time with out network proxy servers and when Apple pointed you to 127.0.0.1:631.
Adding a line to bypass it in the proxy settings took care of it.

jhuls
Contributor III

Well, this is bizarre. I've basically only been at my desk since yesterday when I posted the original question to post my last comment. Yesterday I had the error message that I couldn't connect to it and today it works fine.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm not sure what happened as yesterday even involved a restart with it still not working and I've been using the same exact address in my history every time to make sure there were no typos. It's working now though...and it's going to bug me like hell not knowing why.