Searching for apps installed via the Mac App Store by the end user (NOT VPP)

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

Is there a way to do a search on all Macs to generate a list of all apps that were installed from the App Store? Until now I haven't been locking down the App Store access because that option in the Config Profile just didn't work in previous versions of JSS. Now that we're on version 9.92 I want to see if I can lock down the App Store to only allow updates, but before I do I need to find out what apps are floating around out there.

Any suggestions? We aren't using VPP for now because our firewall and proxy is a complete nightmare and i'm giving up on trying to get exceptions granted for that until maybe later.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Ok, found it. Check out this thread

This utilizes yet another Extension Attribute, but I'm not sure if there's a simple way directly through the JSS to do such a search. I know the JSS lists if an app came from the App Store when viewing an individual Mac record's application list, but I don't see a way to use that information in a global search.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270

This came up in another discussion and I offered a possible solution. Let me locate it and post the link for you here.

mm2270

Ok, found it. Check out this thread

This utilizes yet another Extension Attribute, but I'm not sure if there's a simple way directly through the JSS to do such a search. I know the JSS lists if an app came from the App Store when viewing an individual Mac record's application list, but I don't see a way to use that information in a global search.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

The mdfind command in that thread looks like it might be helpful because I can run that in ARD and export the results as needed. thanks!

lizmowens
New Contributor III

This is brilliant. Thank you so much!