Energy Saver: Allow Users to Customize

JKingsnorth
Contributor

I currently do not manage any of our Teachers Energy Saver Preferences anywhere in our JSS. However, if they customize their Energy Saver settings, those settings are overwritten during the next check in with the JSS. I'm not sure why this is, it doesn't seem like it should be like this but it is.

Is there a way to allow users to customize this setting or am I just missing something?

4 REPLIES 4

chad_fox
Contributor II

Typically the Energy Saver settings are controlled by a configuration profile. Do you know if you have a policy that could be scripting those settings instead?

If the Energy Saver preferences were being controlled by a profile, then the end user wouldn't be able to adjust the settings. What makes me think it could be a policy is that they are being reverted every time the machine checks in. Which would be a trigger within the policy.

JKingsnorth
Contributor

I went through all of the Policies for the groups associated with those computers and there is nothing in regards to Energy Saver prefs.

russeller
Contributor III

I'll just leave this here

security authorizationdb write system.preferences.energysaver allow

Source:
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=20713

Need these two actually, tested and it works! Just made a script, put it in a policy, and scoped to staff computers.

security authorizationdb write system.preferences allow

security authorizationdb write system.preferences.energysaver allow

can also allow users to add their own printers too:

security authorizationdb write system.preferences.printing allow