New Teachers and Apple IDs with School email address

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi ALL,
I will preface this by saying I the not seen this with my own eyes, but several new staff have said that they are not able to create an Apple ID using their newly created and issued school email address.
We have only uploaded new Middle School student enrollments and all grade 5 into ASM using SFTP.
Staff spreadsheet was basically empty.
Additionally we have set the default managed Apple IDs in settings for both staff and students to include appleid after the @ symbol.

Is this expected behavior?
Will call Apple Enterprise tomorrow but just wondering....

7 REPLIES 7

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@Sandy Hmm. If the staff csv was empty and in addition the Managed IDs were not the email addresses, is your question about creating Apple IDs in general? If so, and more than 10 or so users tried to create them in a single day, then you may have been blacklisted. When this happens you'll get to the very end and then it won't create. If you know you will be creating more than this, you can contact AppleCare support or your SE and get whitelisted for a month.

chris

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. the question is whether, through some weird glitch or unintended consequence, new staff, who just received their newly created school gmail addresses, could no longer create personal apple IDs using accounts in our domain, now that the domain is tied to ASM. They WERE then able to create apple IDs using their personal email addresses.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

It really sounds like you were blacklisted for a time, not that it has anything to do with ASM. Roughly how many staff would have made an Apple ID? The security team looks at the domain, the pattern, the IP address they are coming from..

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Huh. I guess if they are sophisticated enough to only block our domain emails and not personal email coming from the same IP address, then I guess so.
My understanding was it was an ip only thing, so I am thrown off by the personal email addresses working....

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

They have been asking me for the format of the Apple ID, the domain, the sub-domain..

Pro Tip: don't provide a student sub-domain and expect the overall domain to also be whitelisted. lol

chrisross
New Contributor

Just so I'm understanding this correctly. Are these staff are tying to create Managed Apple ID's? Or are they trying to create normal Apple ID's using iTunes, directly from the device, or some other method correct? Also are they trying to use the @appleid.yourdomain.org account when they create the Apple ID?

-- edit, no longer relevant, I posted this last night and it was just approved. Sounds like you figured it out.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

The staff are trying to create new pesonal Apple IDs using their brand new school email addresses, and they will not go, but nobody gave me specifics yet of what message they get. It's not very many people though, and weirdly they CAN create an Apple with their own personal yahoo or whatever account, at school So that made me think it was not a blacklist, since in the past I thiught they only whitelisted IP addresses.....
My concern is that somehow because we ARE using ASM for managed apple IDs for a select number of students only, that somehow this is an ASM glitch....
Waiting today for more info