Casper remote 9.96 losing it's icon when "Casper Suite" PKG is created in Composer

BaddMann
Contributor

a843b15f837b4790b7207f2dd80468a1
Just updated to JSS 9.96 and like every other upgrade I grab the Casper Suite folder, and put it here: "/Applications/Utilities" then I capture it from that location with the composer within the install DMG.
When the files are pushed into composer the icon for Casper remote "disappears" and is replaced with the default xcode build icon.
All other apps appear like normal.
When I build a pkg based on this, the installed Casper Remote is also missing the icon.

My users are easily upset, this is upsetting them.
Quick fixes or reasoning for this?

Thank you in Advance.

13 REPLIES 13

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Permissions issue perhaps? You could try making sure to recursively fix permissions down the entire app bundle or the Casper Suite folder before copying it into your Composer source.

BaddMann
Contributor

I thought so at first as well. Double and triple checked. Applied Permissions from top Down within Composer already, but I'll try it from command line.

What I don't get is that the permissions are in check and every thing else within the folder appears to be correct.
I'm redoing the whole process with a whole new download on a another computer right now. If it doesn't reproduce I'll check what is different.

Very Strange

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

I'm seeing the same thing, actually. I have no idea why it's doing that, and why it only seems to affect Composer.

mm2270

Odd. I'll pull down the 9.96 tools and give it a go to see if I see the same issue. Seems strange.

mm2270

I'm not seeing the issue here on my 10.10.5 Mac (yes, I'm still on Yosemite) I built a Composer source of the new Casper Suite 9.96 tools in both my 9.82 version of Composer as well as in the new 9.96 version and in both cases the Composer and Casper Remote icons (as well as all the others, save for Recon.exe which never has one) are showing up in the source.
I even built out a DMG package on one of them and mounted the resulting DMG and looked at the apps in it, and still good. So at first glance, this isn't happening for me.

Let me ask, are you both using 10.11.x when you build this Composer package? Wondering if my being on 10.10 has something to do with the difference. I have 10.11.6 machines nearby I can run some tests with to see.

Randydid
Contributor II

Adding the requisite 'me too':

Somewhat related. Excel 2016 has the same icon issue while other Office 2016 apps do not. And, My Self Service apps have it too but only on my macOS Sierra GM test box.

/randy

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

I see this for Casper Admin and all other apps too. The only app that is not affected is Composer.

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

I used Composer 9.96 to create a Casper Remote 9.96 pkg. I too see a generic icon for CR when installed with this package. When I get info on the application, the version number is "--". When the installed app is open, the About Casper Remote shows "Version: Development Build".

I used Composer 9.93 to create a Casper Remote 9.96 pkg. The icon is correct after the pkg is installed, but the other two issues still exist. When I get info on the application, the version number is "--". When the installed app is open, the About Casper Remote shows "Version: Development Build". I also got the same results when I created a pkg using Packages.app.

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

JAMF believes it's related to this

PI-002979 - Casper Apps Info.plist permissions create inconsistent experience for different logged in users

If you have already distributed the package and installed Casper Remote, correct the permissions of the Info.plist, for example:

sudo chmod 644 /Applications/Casper Suite/Casper Remote.app/Contents/Info.plist

I completed the command and that fixed the version information and the menus. The icon stayed generic until I logged out and logged in.

If you are going to create a new package with Composer 9.96, you can adjust the permissions on Info.plist to root:wheel and mode 644, then click the Build as PKG. That will result in a proper Casper Remote.app installer.

larsc
New Contributor II

This same issue is also present in the latest 9.97.1488392992 update.

Fixing the permissions on the Info.plist file in each application solves the problem, as before.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

If the item you're packaging is using custom icons, might want to uncheck this box in Composer preferences.

8d8b9638d01c4b519838620f833fe753

--
https://donmontalvo.com

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Interesting, reall wish we can have access to Jamf's known issues database. :)

With that said, I wonder why the Casper Suite folder isn't provided to us in a proper flat/signed PKG. it would make deployment a lot easier.

We minimize these surprises by packaging the folder using Whitebox Packages, recursive setting to root:wheel and 755.

To solves those kinds of issues for us, and it pacifies our security team and Gatekeeper.

--
https://donmontalvo.com