Message popup for restricted software

discounteggroll
New Contributor III

Hi, I'm trying to use the restricted software feature of our JSS to popup a message whenever a certain app (in our case, evernote) is launched. I figured using the restricted software tab (and unselecting terminate process) would work without a hitch, however the message is only displayed once. Subsequent openings of the app does not invoke the message until the computer is rebooted.

This behavior does not occur with other apps that we have set to terminate under restricted software, and the popup messages on those occurs on every single launch.

Any ideas or thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@discounteggroll I'be only ever done this with "terminate process" checked.

I guess you're looking to advise folks about Evernote & not stop them using the app?

discounteggroll
New Contributor III

@bentoms Thanks for the response. Yes, the idea was to have the popup remind users not to keep certain data stored in evernote whenever they open it.

I'm completely open to other options of getting this done if there's an alternative method.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@discounteggroll I guess the app starts a process that runs until the Mac is restarted.

If you targeted that, the would probably get a heap of alerts.

Personally, i'd just keep it to once per launch per restart of the Mac. Not too much of a nag that way.