macOS Sierra Doesnt Show Up in App Store "Purchased" Section?

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

I have downloard and installed macOS Sierra 10.12 on a couple IT test Macs using my company Apple ID. However, Sierra doesnt show up under the "Purchased" tab in the App Store app. It's as if I have never downloaded/installed it before.

I tried it again using my personal Apple ID at home on (2) personal Macs and I experienced the same thing.

I have logged out and back into the App Store to "refresh". Rebooted, etc. Still nothing.

Gotta be a glitch. Has anyone seen this?

5 REPLIES 5

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

@dstranathan It's because Sierra is not tied to apple id's and purchases anymore. You can just go to the app store while not logged in with your apple ID and it will present a download button regardless. It removed my developer GM version from my app store purchase history too :)

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

Ahh. Thanks.

I also noticed that if I have macOS Sierra already installed, I no longer get the prompt:

"This is already installed, do you want to continue and download it again?"

It simply lets me download it again.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

@chriscollins

Wait a minute. After a few (seemlingly random) log ins and log outs of the Mac App Store, macOS Sierra is finally showing up in the "Purchased" tab. Took almost 30 hours for it to propagate.

I'm now seeing macOS Sierra show up under "Purchased" on Macs that havent downloaded Sierra previously (but are logged-into the MAS with my company IT Apple ID).

e8abe031926a4108ad8ba51a2b2fafc1

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

@dstranathan That is totally weird because I can go on any machine including an el cap one I just freshly installed the OS on without it being logged into the app store and I can download it.

spalmer
Contributor III

Just an FYI.

I did some testing in three VM's running OS X 10.9, 10.10 and 10.11. None of these VM's had an Apple ID signed into the Mac App Store. Only OS X 10.11 allowed you to download macOS Sierra without an Apple ID. OS X 10.9 and OS X 10.10 still require an Apple ID to download it. You can see the difference in that the button will state Download in OS X 10.11 and it will state Get in OS X 10.9 and OS X 10.10.

If I had to hazard a guess I am betting that Apple is somehow utilizing the device based app assignment feature that was made available with OS X 10.11.