Casfigurator v0.1 - Tagging iOS devices for JSS app distribution on-the-fly at setup

bumbletech
Contributor III

I posted a proof of concept for this a few months ago, and I'm happy to announce I've got an early, v0.1 release that should play nice with any Casper environment.

Casfigurator is my way of trying to simplify setup and app distribution for shared/cart-based/non-user-assigned iOS devices. It includes a set of scripts that uses Configurator 2's automation tools to grab serial numbers of USB connected devices and interact with the JSS API. I needed an easy way for technicians to put new and repurposed iPads into known groups for app distribution but didn't want to be dependent on device names or having to worry about a user's knowledge of the JSS.

I know a fair number of people get worried when they hear "Configurator"—but this is only using Configurator 2 as a means of getting necessary input for scripts to interact with your JSS. You could do all of this with CSVs, but that's not as simple as telling field techs "plug the iPads into your Mac, run this script and go." Devices aren't being tied to Configurator for app distribution. It's all happening on the JSS. Think of this as (a very simple and beta) DeployStudio or Casper Imaging for iOS devices.

The mechanics are pretty simple: the setup script will install a mobile device extension attribute for "App Distribution Groups" on your JSS. Anything written to that field on a device record will put the device into the corresponding smart groups that the setup script will also walk you through creating. For now, you will need to scope your apps to these groups in the JSS. I'm hoping to get API based app assignments ready for the next release.

When a tech is setting up iOS devices, they can run a Casfigurator script which will prompt for the existing "App Distribution Groups"/smart-groups these devices should go into:

2c3a02e609d4499a9015467a058fdfbe

Casfigurator will also sequentially name your devices with multi-digit numbers so they will sort properly in your JSS.

Unlike my previous proof-of-concept, this first release version reads all of the smart group criteria and extension attribute data right from your JSS. It'll handle new groups/criteria well, and should be an easy setup.

I'd be glad to hear any feedback you've got to give!

GitHub Project Page
Original proof-of-concept demo
Walkthrough of v0.1

2 REPLIES 2

djdavetrouble
Contributor III

Nice work! so many useful solutions have come from the community in the past few years!

peo
New Contributor

Nice! Will be very handy.
/Peo