Auto populate user information from AD based on first AD login

MadPossum
New Contributor III

Hi, I've found some variations of this elsewhere but nothing that seems to address what I am specifically looking for. Here is what I would like to do.

I have all the AD mappings set up, departments and buildings match exactly what are stored in AD. If I use the look up when adding a user to a machine record in the JSS, all the info populates correctly.

The piece I am missing is, on a newly imaged machine, when the first AD user logs into the machine that user name is used to add that user to the machine in the jss.

Has anyone ever done this?

7 REPLIES 7

RobertBasil
Contributor

$3 is the variable JAMF uses for the AD username after login. We currently use this for external drive mapping.

RobertBasil
Contributor

For example, we add this as a dock item for shared drive mapping after every login.

smb://cchs-fs1/HOME/$3

chad_fox
Contributor II

Would something like this help you out?

[https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2011/12/05/auto-populating-the-location-info-in-the-casper-jss-inventory/](link URL)

shibao_si
New Contributor II

I got this from JAMF Support,it works well here, maybe help

!/bin/sh

Grab the username of the user that last logged in (current user).

currentUser=defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow lastUserName

Submit an inventory report and include the current user (above) to be written to the

username field in User and Location Information.

jamf recon -endUsername $currentUser

exit 0

Set the execution frequency to once per computer and in policy scope add local user that IT used to exclusion , this will only get the first AD user. Sorry for my poor english....

Kennedy
New Contributor II

This is our script to achieve this:

#!/bin/bash

#log the output of the script to the jamf.log for easy viewing
logfile=/var/log/jamf.log;
exec >> $logfile 2>&1;

#------------------------------     
#-------BEGIN VARIABLES--------

scriptname="populate_username.sh";
breadcrumb="/Library/BCGS/breadcrumb_username_populated.txt";
currentUser=""
currentUser=`defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow lastUserName` >/dev/null 2>/dev/null

#set LoggedInUser as the current user
if [ `ls -l /dev/console | cut -d " " -f 4` == "root" ]
then
    #script is run at login, so the user is the $3 variable
    LoggedInUser=$3
else
    #script is run as self service, so the user is not sent to the script
    LoggedInUser=`ls -l /dev/console | cut -d " " -f 4`
fi

#-------END VARIABLES----------

echo "`date +"%a %b %d %X"` `hostname` jamf[script-$scriptname]:   "
echo "`date +"%a %b %d %X"` `hostname` jamf[script-$scriptname]: ------------------------------------------------------"
echo "`date +"%a %b %d %X"` `hostname` jamf[script-$scriptname]: --- Starting $scriptname"
echo "`date +"%a %b %d %X"` `hostname` jamf[script-$scriptname]: Script variables:" 
echo "`date +"%a %b %d %X"` `hostname` jamf[script-$scriptname]:    $LoggedInUser =  $LoggedInUser"
echo "`date +"%a %b %d %X"` `hostname` jamf[script-$scriptname]:    $currentUser =  $currentUser"
echo "`date +"%a %b %d %X"` `hostname` jamf[script-$scriptname]:"

if [ -f "$breadcrumb" ]
then
     # We should skip running this script, as it looks like it has already run at a previous reboot.
     # In theory this should never occur, as it should be exlcuded in the policy, so this is a second
     # measure.
     echo "`date +"%a %b %d %X"` `hostname` jamf[script-$scriptname]: Skipped populating the username as we have already done this."
else
     echo "`date +"%a %b %d %X"` `hostname` jamf[script-$scriptname]: Username is going to be '$LoggedInUser'."

# Submit an inventory report and include the current user to be written to the
     echo "`date +"%a %b %d %X"` `hostname` jamf[script-$scriptname]: Running 'jamf recon -endUsername $LoggedInUser."
     jamf recon -endUsername $LoggedInUser >/dev/null 2>/dev/null

# Create the breadcrumb so we know not to run the script again
     echo "`date +"%a %b %d %X"` `hostname` jamf[script-$scriptname]: Creating the breadcrumb."
     echo $LoggedInUser >> $breadcrumb 

# Run recon again to pick up the breadcrumb extension attribute
     echo "`date +"%a %b %d %X"` `hostname` jamf[script-$scriptname]: Running jamf recon for a second time."
     jamf recon >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
fi

echo "`date +"%a %b %d %X"` `hostname` jamf[script-$scriptname]: --- Finished $scriptname"
echo "`date +"%a %b %d %X"` `hostname` jamf[script-$scriptname]: ------------------------------------------------------"

exit 0

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

@Kennedy

How often / what triggers do you use to run that script? Startup? Login? Everyhour?

Kennedy
New Contributor II

We use breadcrumbs for many things, they're basically just a way we can record if something has happened, sometimes we put data in them.

We then create extension attributes for the breadcrumbs, and smart groups from those extension attributes.

So in this case, the policy runs at login, on a recurring basis, but we exclude computers that have the breadcrumb on them from the scope.