Install Office 2011 14.6.x

agp
New Contributor

I have had a 3-step installer policy for Office 2011.
First the "basic"
Then 14.1
Then 14.x.x
Coming to 14.6.x the installing process fails. The last one is not running.
I think that´s because 14.6 now requires a password if Office is not started before you run the update.
That means I need to start Office on every computer before I run the 14.6 update.
I don´t know how to solve this problem.
Any ideas ?

Regards

Anders

4 REPLIES 4

ianmb
Contributor

Are you following the advice here?

mojo21221
Contributor II

Office 2011 can be frustrating at times with the way Microsoft designed the post flight installers. My process was to package a separate installer that contained the license, preference plists that that disabled the first run prompts, and configured auto updates.

Once I had that packaged up I would grab the latest 2011 installer from http://macadmins.software then open the dmg, drag the pkg to my desktop, rename it to my naming convention and upload the renamed office2011.pkg along with the license.pkg I created into casper admin set the license priority to 1 higher than the Office2011.pkg to guarantee it runs after the completion. Finally you can create your policy to install both of the packages.

Hope this helps.

talkingmoose

If you're running a volume license edition of Office for Mac 2011, visit your Microsoft Volume Licenses Service Center portal and download the latest installer available. It will be fully or nearly fully updated. You will reduce the number of installers you're running and bypass a lot of old installer issues resolved by the newer installer.

Side note: Don't forget support for Office for Mac 2011 ends October 2017 (a year from now). Start making plans to move to newer versions of Office.

pete_c
Contributor III

There's also the MS portal at http://macadmins.software/ which, despite its appearances, is completely legit - check #microsoft-office on the MacAdmins Slack for more.