Disable automatic download of App Store > macOS Sierra

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

Hi,

I've just read an article that Apple is now sending out automatic download of "Install macOS Sierra.app" into Macbooks. As our company is not ready for Sierra (our displaylink driver doesn't work with Sierra), we don't want this automatic update or download to happen.

I've also read that we can go to System Perferences > App Store > and uncheck the Automatically check for update. But is there any way to do this via script? So I can send it out via JSS to all the Macbook.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kmabe
New Contributor III

Copy this one line into a script in JSS:

sudo softwareupdate --schedule off

Unchecks automatically check for updates and all surrogates. Works in Yosemite and El Capitan.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

chuck3000
Contributor

Here is the article I saw on 9to5 Mac - https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/03/macos-sierra-auto-downloads/

From what I'm reading, the install is not automatic, but the download is/could be/could be disabled. "Mac users will still need to manually allow the software update to be installed; the only change here is that the update can download automatically then prompt you to install. You can also opt out of this feature in System Preferences → App Store → Download newly available updates in the background."

This doesn't answer your question about scripting the change, but I don't think you have to worry about it auto installing. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

dwandro92
Contributor III

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

@chuck3000 , I also believe it doesn't automatically install.
But each Macbook, downloading 4.5Gb from Apple Store, Don't think it will do much good to our network traffic.

I haven't had a chance to check out our JSS config profiles yet.

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

Within JSS I have now setup restricted software for "Install macOS Sierra", so people can't manually get a copy and run it.

Still, haven't found a way to stop the download.
I looked at restricting the configuration profile, but all I see is disable or enable the whole App Store.
I think some people may still want to download things from App Store, so I don't want to restrict the whole thing. Just automatic update (or this Sierra thing).

kmabe
New Contributor III

Copy this one line into a script in JSS:

sudo softwareupdate --schedule off

Unchecks automatically check for updates and all surrogates. Works in Yosemite and El Capitan.

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

Thanks @kmabe ,

Your script worked exactly as I want it. Now I've created a policy to run once a month on every Macbook. Thanks a lot :)

pcrandom
Contributor

I still wish there was a way to ignore just that update while keeping automatic checks and downloads of other Apple updates enabled. Strangely, none of my El Capitan Macs have automatically downloaded Sierra installer yet. I keep waiting for it to happen so I can see if it appears as an update that I can use softwareupdate --ignore on.

CapU
Contributor III

You can also create a policy to stop the install process. 94f6834eff464ee0b414153b28160c88