Help Needed Using Parameter Values in Script

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

I am in the process of writing a short script and need your help. The script is pretty simple. The aim is to first search and see if a specified process (processName=$4) is running. If it is, echo a string that states that it is running. If the specified process is not running, the script will execute /usr/local/bin/jamf policy -$5 $6 where jamfPolicyType=$5 and eventorIDName=$6.

#!/bin/sh

####################################################################################################
#
# DEFINE VARIABLES & READ IN PARAMETERS
#
####################################################################################################
#
# A HARDCODED VALUE FOR "processName," "jamfPolicyType" and "eventorIDName" CAN BE SET BELOW.
#
# A list of accepted process name values can be verified in Activity Monitor.
#
# Delete the double quotes and replace with the desired process name and/or event name, e.g. 
# processName=Safari or eventorIDName=runSafariPolicy. For jamfPolicyType, pass "id" or "event."
# 
# If this script is to be deployed via policy using the JSS leave the next line as is.
#

processName="Safari"
jamfPolicyType="ID"
eventorIDName="1"

#
# SCRIPT CONTENTS - DO NOT MODIFY BELOW THIS LINE
#

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 4 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "processName"

if [ "$4" != "" ] && [ "$processName" == "" ]
then
    processName=$4
fi

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 5 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "jamfPolicyType"

if [ "$5" != "" ] && [ "$jamfPolicyType" == "" ]
then
    jamfPolicyType=$5
fi

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 6 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "eventorIDName"

if [ "$6" != "" ] && [ "$eventorIDName" == "" ]
then
    eventorIDName=$6
fi

# CHECK TO SEE IF THE SPECIFIED PROCESS IS RUNNING, THEN ECHO STATEMENT DEPENDING ON CONDITION

processRunning=$(pgrep -i $processName)

if [[ $processRunning != "" ]]
then
     echo "$processName is running. Run Inventory Scan and run script again at next check-in."
else
     echo "$processName is NOT running. Search for $jamfPolicyType triggered by $eventorIDName."
     /usr/local/bin/jamf policy -$5 $6
fi
exit 0

Regardless of whether or not the specified process is running, the same echo string is returned.

"$processName is running. Run Inventory Scan and run script again at next check-in."

If it's not too much to ask, can someone please sift through the provided code and let me know where I've taken a wrong turn?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

My guess is the -$5 is not being recognized and its simply running /usr/local/bin/jamf policy which invokes the regular Check-in trigger. The error message you're seeing is because the check-in trigger has already been called by the LaunchDaemon with the random delay being applied to stagger it. So its in a wait mode, waiting to finally execute, and you can't call it again.

I would try doing the $5 variable in the script as jamfPolicyType="-id" meaning include the dash in the string up at top, not outside the variable. Or if you're entering a string in the variable assignment for the policy, add it in as -id or whatever it needs to be.
Also, I don't know if its case sensitive, but I believe its -id, not -ID, the latter of which is what's in your script.

View solution in original post

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thanks, @mm2270! I didn't think that was an issue :)

Here's the wining script!

#!/bin/sh

#
#
#
# A HARDCODED VALUE FOR "processName," "jamfPolicyType" and "eventorIDName" CAN BE SET BELOW.
#
#
# Delete the double quotes and replace with the desired process name and/or event name, e.g. 
# processName=Safari.app or eventorIDName=runSafariPolicy. For jamfPolicyType, pass "-id" or "-event."
# 
# If this script is to be deployed via policy using the JSS leave the next line as is.
#

processName=""
jamfPolicyType=""
eventorIDName=""

#
#

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 4 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "processName"

if [[ "$4" != "" ]] && [[ "$processName" == "" ]]
then
    processName=$4
fi

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 5 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "jamfPolicyType"

if [[ "$5" != "" ]] && [[ "$jamfPolicyType" == "" ]]
then
    jamfPolicyType=$5
fi

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 6 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "eventorIDName"

if [[ "$6" != "" ]] && [[ "$eventorIDName" == "" ]]
then
    eventorIDName=$6
fi

# CHECK TO SEE IF THE SPECIFIED PROCESS IS RUNNING, THEN ECHO STATEMENT DEPENDING ON CONDITION

processRunning=$(ps aux | grep -i $processName | grep -v grep | grep -v JAMF)
jamf="/usr/local/bin/jamf"

then
     echo "$processName is running. Run Inventory Scan and run script again at next check-in."
else
     echo "$processName is NOT running. Search for $jamfPolicyType triggered by $eventorIDName."
     $jamf policy $5 $6
fi

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270

At first glance, nothing looks wrong in it to me.
I would probably add an echo line between the line that grabs the processRunning variable and the if/then block, like so:

processRunning=$(pgrep -i $processName)
echo "$processRunning"

Maybe somehow its not turning up empty and is grabbing something, which would be revealed with the echo line. Though really it shouldn't be picking anything up if the app isn't running as far as I can see.

NTmatter
New Contributor II

As a thought, you don't need to do the string equivalence check. You can inspect pgrep's exit code directly:

if pgrep -q "$processName"
then
   echo "$processName is running"
else
   echo "$processName is NOT running. Search for ..."
   # /usr/local/bin/jamf policy ...
fi

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

@mm2270 @NTmatter Here's what I have now:

#!/bin/sh

#
#
#
#
#
# processName=Safari.app or eventorIDName=runSafariPolicy. For jamfPolicyType, pass "ID" or "event."
# 
#

processName=""
jamfPolicyType=""
eventorIDName=""

#
#

then
    processName=$4
fi

then
    jamfPolicyType=$5
fi

then
    eventorIDName=$6
fi

then
else
     $jamf policy -$5 $6
fi

Everything looks great except the if-else statement, specifically the $jamf policy -$5 $6 command. When the defined process is not running and the aforementioned command should execute, I receive the following error:

This policy trigger is already being run: root 125 0.0 0.1 2507300 14156 s000 S+ 12:47PM 0:00.18 jamf policy -id <PolicyID>

Any ideas?

mm2270

My guess is the -$5 is not being recognized and its simply running /usr/local/bin/jamf policy which invokes the regular Check-in trigger. The error message you're seeing is because the check-in trigger has already been called by the LaunchDaemon with the random delay being applied to stagger it. So its in a wait mode, waiting to finally execute, and you can't call it again.

I would try doing the $5 variable in the script as jamfPolicyType="-id" meaning include the dash in the string up at top, not outside the variable. Or if you're entering a string in the variable assignment for the policy, add it in as -id or whatever it needs to be.
Also, I don't know if its case sensitive, but I believe its -id, not -ID, the latter of which is what's in your script.

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thanks, @mm2270! I didn't think that was an issue :)

Here's the wining script!

#!/bin/sh

#
#
#
#
#
# processName=Safari.app or eventorIDName=runSafariPolicy. For jamfPolicyType, pass "-id" or "-event."
# 
#

processName=""
jamfPolicyType=""
eventorIDName=""

#
#

then
    processName=$4
fi

then
    jamfPolicyType=$5
fi

then
    eventorIDName=$6
fi

then
else
     $jamf policy $5 $6
fi

mm2270

Good! Glad that helped fix it. Just one comment. You can use ps axc to get the running process without needing to use the whole grep -v grep stuff. Like this:

processRunning=$(ps acx | grep -i "$processName")

Assuming you are entering in pretty basic process names, things like "Safari" "Microsoft Word" etc. that should work fine. Try it out if you want. I would also put the process name variable in double quotes in case its something with two or more words, like in the "Microsoft Word" example.