Region Codes for DVDs and NON-ADMIN accounts

Chuey
Contributor III

I've already done research and found some useful help from the Scripts section of JAMF and Mac Mule. Although this is great there is no longer etc/authorization but now it resides in /var/db/auth.db

I have Macbook Airs with USB DVD Drives that prompt non-admins for Region Code and will not let them set.

Does anyone have an updated script for this before i start making one myself ? Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

Using this in my first boot script 10.11.x:

# Enabling DVD Set Region First Time – Anyone
/usr/bin/security authorizationdb write system.device.dvd.setregion.initial allow

# Enables DVD Set Region Any time
/usr/bin/security authorizationdb write system.device.dvd.setregion.change allow

"borrowed" from Aaron here

Don't forget the 5 limit

Larry

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

Using this in my first boot script 10.11.x:

# Enabling DVD Set Region First Time – Anyone
/usr/bin/security authorizationdb write system.device.dvd.setregion.initial allow

# Enables DVD Set Region Any time
/usr/bin/security authorizationdb write system.device.dvd.setregion.change allow

"borrowed" from Aaron here

Don't forget the 5 limit

Larry

Chuey
Contributor III

Wow, thanks @LSinNY I should have looked at the comments . . . .

Could you expand on the "5 limit" ?

dmohs
Contributor

@Chuey The "five limit" is probably general advice. The Apple USB SuperDrives can have their region codes set only five times. After that, they are locked at whatever was the last region code.

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@Chuey what @dmohs said is correct,That is why I use VLC with more experienced users. No region change needed, and the interface may not be as obvious as DVD Player, but they can figure it out on the fly.

Chuey
Contributor III

@dmohs @LSinNY thanks for clarifying. Didn't realize there was a limit for this. Should not be an issue since these are mainly staff laptops that are single user only.

Thank you

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

The "five limit" is a SERIOUS thing to pay attention to!

Managing an international boarding school we've had to pay VERY close attention to this for years. That's a great script and many should use it. In our case, VLC was the answer just as @LSinNY mentions. It doesn't give a darn what region you're playing from. Better yet, it will certainly not brick or lock your DVD drive/region no matter what you.