How to auto update jave (now that Oracle has disabled Direct linking)

rblaas
Contributor II

Hi All,

We used to keep our JAVA up-2-date with the Update_CoreApps.sh (which I cannot find any more on jamfnation.... )

since the 7th of October the script is not working anymore. Did a bit of google and read that Oracle has disabled direct linking to the files..

So my question is: How do you keep your Java up-2-date these days ?

9 REPLIES 9

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Update_CoreApps.sh - that's my script, but it hasn't been updated in ages now. I have moved all the functionality from that script into a newer version that I never posted on my github page. I just checked and the current version of that new script is able to locate, download and install Oracle Java 8 updates, so its still working, in the newer script at least. I just used it to update a Mac from Java 1.8.66.17 (Java 8 Update 66) to 1.8.101.13 (Java 8 Update 101), which as far as I can see is the current release from Oracle.

c52b9d50f128433099b9af6fa0c5922a

rblaas
Contributor II

@mm2270 Care to share your script?

I am using your "old" script alot :)

I would be very happy if you would. :)

mm2270

@rblaas Can you email me at mm2270 [at] icloud [dot] com? I'll send you the current script I have when I can. I don't want to post it here since its still in a beta cycle, plus, its quite a long script to post here.

rblaas
Contributor II

@mm2270 I have sent you an e-mail. Would love to receive your script..

rblaas
Contributor II

@mm2270 Did you find the time to sent me the script? (did you receive my e-mail?)

regards,

Ronald

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

Mike is a busy guy, I'd also check his github page for an updated script, and a few other tools he has graciously shared with us. For those that cannot use a script or need another option:

1. download the latest java update from Oracle
  2. mount the dmg and copy the pkg to your desktop
  3. right click on the pkg and choose "show package contents"
  4. Open Contents/Resources. copy the "JavaAppletPlugin.pkg"
  5. rename it to whatever you need, i.e. I use munki so I renamed the pkg "OracleJava8-1.8.111.14"
  6. Deploy with your preferred method hth

L

rblaas
Contributor II

@LSinNY Yes I know..
Unfortunately this 'new' script is not on his GitHub.. The script I am after is in a beta state :) but as per request I sent him an e-mail. As it has been a week I just wanted to sent a reminder :)

mm2270

Hi @rblaas Yes, I did get your email. Sorry I haven't sent that put yet. I'll work on sending that to you today. I just need to run a few quick tests on it again to be sure everything is working, at least as far as Java is concerned. I've been doing some cleanup on the script and want to be sure I didn't break anything in the process.

rblaas
Contributor II

@mm2270 Great to hear.

If you want me to test things in the script I would be happy to do it for you!