Anyway to place a limit on how many clients get updates at one time?

fedagain
Contributor

Anyway to place a limit on how many clients get updates at one time?

Currently have a fair number of Macs (700) and our little network isn't the strongest, so I'm wondering if there is a way in JSS to set how many machines can be imaged, updated, etc.. at one time?

Thank you
David

3 REPLIES 3

Look
Valued Contributor III

Not that I am currently aware of but feel free to vote up the related Feature Request I made earlier...
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=3732
There are a number of ways of manually addressing this that people use.
- Having different policies with different scopes that limitation on when they can be run.
- Having a smart group that you slowly widen the scope of each day until it covers all the machines you want updated.
- Having flags and extension attributes that can be set so that machines move in and out of the scope somehow.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Another thing to be aware of, if you're using SMB or AFP for your Distribution Point, is that a Policy that has a Package payload with an Install Action will effectively result in the payload being copied to the client twice due to the package integrity being verified across the network prior to downloading it. You can defer the verification until the file has been downloaded to the client by using a 2 Policy approach - Cache the package with the 1st Policy then use a 2nd Policy to do an Install Cached.

See this feature request for more details: Perform package verification AFTER downloading

fedagain
Contributor

Thank you, both very helpful! I think the server being unresponsive due to I/O load is most likely from the double download from using the direct install method! I will change those to the copy / install cached method!

You both gave me some great leads!

Thank you!
David