MDM Capability = No. Verify MDM Enrollment = Enrolled

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

Hi all,

I'm trying to make our cofiguration profile work for our macbooks. I'm noticing for new Macbooks to be enrolled, I get MDM Capability = No. Verify MDM Enrollment = Enrolled.

With MDM Capability = No, it mean none of the Configuration Profile would be pushed to them. I've read on past JAMF Nation discussions
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=19266
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=11948

that this push MDM actually is dependent on Apple, and running sudo jamf mdm may trigger it to work.

But when I do run

/usr/local/bin/jamf removeMdmProfile
/usr/local/bin/jamf manage
/usr/local/bin/jamf mdm

all I get is Verify MDM Enrollment = Enrolled.

Any other ideas on how to activate this MDM? Right now half our Macbooks have MDM, but the other half have this turned off. I'm puzzled as to what is required.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

Never mind, I got the explanation as to why our MDM Capability is not responding.
All our Macbook sits behind our company's proxy, which effectly blocks certain traffic to external internet.

So for us, the only Macbooks that can get the MDM Capability are the ones that had previously connect to a real internet connection (eg: If someone brings their Macbook home for use).
This explains why half our fleet of Macbooks have this active and half don't.

Not a solution per say, but we accept the explanation.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

Never mind, I got the explanation as to why our MDM Capability is not responding.
All our Macbook sits behind our company's proxy, which effectly blocks certain traffic to external internet.

So for us, the only Macbooks that can get the MDM Capability are the ones that had previously connect to a real internet connection (eg: If someone brings their Macbook home for use).
This explains why half our fleet of Macbooks have this active and half don't.

Not a solution per say, but we accept the explanation.

isradame
Contributor

I have the same issue, but when if I use the "jamf enroll -prompt" commands, the MDM along with the configuration profiles get pushed.
This just started to happen with JAMF 9.96.

addigyguru
New Contributor

Issue resolve !! Thank you

mani2care
Contributor

The perfect solution is without doing the action

sudo jamf mdm -userLevelMdm
sudo Jamf manage

MDM Capability: Yes will be changed

whiteb
Contributor II

We have a very small handful of machines like this. They still have all of our profiles installed and are checking in, but no management commands available in Jamf + MDM Capability shows 'No'.

sudo profiles renew -type enrollment

Running the above, even with an existing MDM Profile installed, fixed the issue.

I tried a sudo jamf enroll -prompt to re-enroll first, which completed without issue, but still MDM Capability 'No' and no management commands for the computer in Jamf.

Only after running the profiles renew command and accepting the little message that pops-up did the computer get fixed. This computer was an M1 iMac on 13.2.1.

Appears some computers lose their MDM Capability for no apparent reason.