DNS problems preventing access to JSS

zeilstra_thomas
New Contributor II

Long story short--very simple network: router provides DNS and DHCP to local network of about fifty PCs, an OS X server (JSS), and about fifty Mac laptops. The problem is I can't reach the Mac server using the DNS name. It's been hit or miss but after enough people reported problems getting to our own website (externally hosted but using the same domain name) I flipped someone in the router DHCP settings from "Use DNS Proxy" to "Use DNS as below" with Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 listed. I've also added my server's name and IP address to the "Local DNS Database" section of the router setup but it just seems to ignore it. At this point, none of the machines on the network can reach the server using the DNS name (including the server itself!) This seems like the stupidest most basic question but how do I name my server and get other computers on the network to recognize it by that name? I've obviously set the computer name in the Sharing Sys Pref pane but beyond that, I'm drawing a blank. Any ideas? Any additional information I can provide?

0 REPLIES 0