Still want to Netboot/Image the new Macbook Pro's?... Quick draw your dual dongles!

ClassicII
Contributor III

Figured that Apple would have released a host of dongles in the store today only to find one... The USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and no USB-C to Gigabit Adapter.

That means the only way to Netboot a new Macbook pro is to use the following

Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter
to
Apple USB-A to 100mb Ethernet adapter.
Cost $50

Or

USB-C to ThunderBolt 2
to
Thunderbolt 2 to Gig Ethernet.
Cost $80

Yes the store shows a Belkin USB-C to Ethernet Adapter but that does not have the built in firmware to netboot like the Apple ethernet dongles do.

I guess the writing was on the wall with the 12" Macbook.

16 REPLIES 16

jared_f
Valued Contributor

I understand why they did this but, they should have provided at least one USB 3 port and an SD card slot. A lot of people use these machines for editing and it seems they expect all equipment is USB C.

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

Netboot and imaging is dead
APFS will see to that.

al_platt
Contributor II

This is the dongle you're looking for......

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HJKF2ZM/A/belkin-usb-c-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter

Edit just re read the post... so the belkin one won't currently netboot?

Maybe with new hardware it will? All the more reason to request a "test" unit.

In black obviously.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Adaptors are one thing. I'm wondering how BYODs (like me) will be dealing with TouchID on systems that for lack of a better replacement, will still likely be imaged. As for the adaptors, having just bought 1k worth of TB to ethernet adaptors, I'll plan on buying TB3 to TB2 adaptors with full driver support. One day, the OS will be protected and we won't image. However, today is not that day.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

P.S. @al_platt I just bought one and can confirm that they will not netboot a macbook pro. That said, someone at the JNUC told me that they had a "white" belkin usb-c to ethernet adaptor that did work. I cannot verify.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Yep. The question will be if the EFI will support these adaptors to allow NetBooting.

If not, there'll not be much luck for things like AutoCasperNBI.

al_platt
Contributor II

@Chris_Hafner Thanks Chris, maybe they'll update the new ones to work.

We just ordered a new 15" for someone here, I suppose hands on time will tell, although i'm not sure how long i'll be able to hang onto it before having to hand it over.

Touch ID will be interesting (activation locked Macs?) Being quite security minded here we're wondering what, if any changes this will have with Filevault or will we have to wait until APFS for that.

In the meantime, Dongletastic.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I imagine that this will be trivial to deal with in regards to corporate owned or DEP machines as that process should supersede TouchID as it does with iOS devices. It's the ones that people bring from home that need to be imaged, where DEP does not apply. The again, it can't be too different from FV2... Heck, it may be even more convenient in my particular circumstance as our students image their own machines. Still... much has yet to be seen.

Again, if Apple begins to shift to an iOS-style (ipsw?) deployment model with future OS releases, then I can happily step away from imaging as we now know it and speed the process up to boot!

roiegat
Contributor III

Btw, last I read, there are 27 different types of adapters Apple sells. Would love to see what their yearly earning is just from accessories.

al_platt
Contributor II

So we're pretty much looking at this....

a1145b65ee5d4c48afe91e6f3c77668c

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

I find it hard to believe that Apple won't release a USB-C to ethernet adapter, but the way things have been going, the unbelievable is the new normal...

kstrick
Contributor III

I'm also curious about Belkin usb-c to gigabit (white, F2CU040dsWHTAPL, Apple exclusive apparently) vs
Belkin usb-c to gigabit (black, F2CU040btBLK)

Same chipset?

(of course, won't matter much if neither netboots, but that remains to be seen)

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I can only add that the F2CU040 in black (ordered directly from Belkin) DOES NOT work for NetBoot environments.

fritz_schlapbac
Contributor

Just in case someone stumbles across the 'Dell Adapter- USB-C to Ethernet (PXE Boot)'. Dell part 470-ABND.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/470-abnd?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=470-ABND

NetBoot does not work with the 12" MacBook from 2015.

kstrick
Contributor III

@Chris_Hafner I know that the F2CU040 won't netboot the 12" Macbook,
I was just holding out hope that it would netboot the newer ones...

It's looking like the F2CU040dsWHITAPL is only through apple, which makes it harder for our procurement team to order everything from one place... Assuming that it would netboot newer machines, which isn't established... If it doesn't, then it really doesn't matter which is ordered...

I can workaround the netboot issue, just hoping i didn't have to

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

@kstrick Thanks for the clarification. I should remind myself to re-read threads that I've already been on in case the topic shifts... Oh well. In any event, I hope they will work with the new TB3 MacBook Pros. This seems to be one of those fun Apple transitional periods where the current MacBook will be replaced in 3 months by a nearly identical one with TB3 and we'll have our new standard for the next 6 years.

I'm sure there will be a slew of TB3/USB-C adaptors being developed by Apple now, though I really do wish they would have these ready when the new product launches.