Printers installed by Self Service won't print

nwiseman
Contributor

I'm still trying to determine when this first started, but it seems fairly recent. (since updating to 9.96)

When someone installs a printer from Self Service, it fails to print. In working with my Printer team, it seems that the print jobs are being sent under this account _casper_readonly (account created for distribution points) instead of the user accounts.

If a user manually adds a printer everything works as planned.

Has anyone else seen this, and if so any thoughts?

8 REPLIES 8

wakco
Contributor

OS versions?

nwiseman
Contributor

Ah...forgot that. So far I know of 10.11.x and 10.12.x

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

What is the OS on the machine you're running Casper Admin on to capture the printer? If you look in Casper Admin, what is the URI for the printer that's using the _casper_readonly account?

maxbehr
Contributor II

In addition to the URI ensure drivers are installed for the printer.

nwiseman
Contributor

The OS that is being used for running Casper Admin was 10.11.6 and 10.12.1. I haven't tried a 10.10 system yet.

The url is a smb: share.

I guess I'm not sure why the _casper_readonly account would even be being used for something like this. I also found out that it seems to have started on the 1st. Printer team swears no changes were made and I know there haven't been any changes I've made...so curious.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

By URI I mean what does Casper Admin report at the bottom of the window when you select the problematic printer? You should see 3 lines of info about the printer: The JSS ID, the URI and the Category. The URI should begin with something like ipp://printeraddress or lpd://printeraddress depending on what printing protocol it was configured with.

nwiseman
Contributor

Yep. That's what I was referring to as well. Its a SMB://blahblah.my company.com/blahblah

I'm still looking into the situation, but it appears that creating the printers on a 10.10 system and adding them into Casper Admin there has fixed it. More testing to come.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Do the printers from 10.10 have the same SMB URI? I could see that if you're printing via a print management/accounting system that requires the printer driver to upload files to a print server rather than sending them directly to the printer, but unless _capser_readonly was part of that URI I'd expect the files being uploaded would have the logged in user as the owner.