how_to_hide_wireless_icon

steve_bills
New Contributor II

Has anyone had success hiding the Wireless icon in the Menu bar? I'm not sure how to go about editing the plist.

6 REPLIES 6

jared_f
Valued Contributor

https://github.com/gmarnin/Profiles/blob/master/Airport%20Menubar%20Disable.mobileconfig

I saw this a while back.

CapU
Contributor III

Why would you need to hide the icon? I have a policy that disables the wireless, any the user has to an admin to be able to get into System Prefs to make any change

jared_f
Valued Contributor

@steve.bills It seems to work. I threw it into text wrangler on my Mac and changed the organization, etc. and saved it as a .mobileconfig. Upload it to the JSS and scope.

SeanA
Contributor III

@steve.bills If the solution provided by jared_f works, then kudos. For my curiosity, what are the requirement(s) in your organization to hide the icon?

steve_bills
New Contributor II

@SeanA - Members of our network team are concerned that users will try to enable the wireless on their Mac Mini's. I put a policy in place over the weekend that shuts off the wireless on those devices now. I haven't had a opportunity to work on the hiding the icon. I'm in CCT training this week so I will play around with the icon next week.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

This profile appears to be working on my 10.11 El Capitan and 10.12 Sierra test computers.

Users can play cat-and-mouse by manually enabling the Wi-Fi (AirPort) icon from the Network preference pane, but the icon ultimatley will get removed over and over again by the profile.