Best Option to upgrade from <=10.9.X to El Capitan

Ferrard
New Contributor II

Hi Experts,

Whats your recommendation on upgrading OS X from Mavericks and below to El Capitan?

Things I have tried.

1. > Created a OSX El Capitan install package using createOSXInstallPkg and cached it to local clients, but after running the cached package from Self Service and setup a reboot option in policy, it restarts the computer okay, but after the reboot it doesn't go for the upgrade, comes straight back to login screen (NOTE: the same package works when trying to upgrade from 10.10.X to 10.11)

2. > Cached the Install OS X El Capitan.app to /Applications folder of a workstation and calling the script below:

/Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --volume /Volumes/Macintosh HD --applicationpath /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app --nointeraction

And it reboots any 10.10 or 10.11 computers and installs the OS X 10.11, but when running the same script/policy on 10.9 and below computers, it fails with error "Error: This application is not supported on this version of OS X..."

What I am trying to avoid is, asking the users to do few clicks to start the application "Install OS X El Capitan.app".

Does anyone have a better idea of doing this?

Thanks in advance and sorry, I am just gearing up slowly with UNIX stuffs.

Ravi

1 REPLY 1

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

How about just uploading the OS X El Capitan.app to Casper Admin and set a policy to cache and install it?

lHere

More info

More info