ISC DHCP configured on Mac Mini Server

DBI_Support
New Contributor

Hi all,

Has anyone attempted or successfully set up ISC DHCP under Mac OS 10.11.6? In order to get the Mac to feed info into our Solar Winds network infrastructure, it has to meet a very short list of criteria, and in this case, the ISC DHCP is the only real "Mac friendly" option.

We have successfully installed on a Mac Mini server in our lab, but we are having issues getting the configuration set right. Basically we're trying to hack together something from the web to fit our needs.

We just want to serve out a small range of IPs to our iOS devices, and also have the Solar Winds keep tabs on the traffic and the status of the Mini (along with the Jamf Pro console, for second point of contact).

We're open to suggestions, ideas, or any other thoughts that you may have.

Many thanks!

Jeremiah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

maxbehr
Contributor II

Understood…I would then recommend you use brew to install instead of building from scratch. The brew packages are built and tested to work on macOS. You can get started at the brew site.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

maxbehr
Contributor II

Jeremiah, I'm assuming the version that ships with Apple's server app is not compatible with Solar Winds? If so did you install by building from source or by using brew ISC DHCP

DBI_Support
New Contributor

[maxbehr](link URL),

That's correct, Solar Winds basically told us the Apple native DHCP service is not supported.

We went to [https://www.isc.org/downloads/#](link URL), and I built and installed it on the Mini, which required Xcode to be installed. Which complicates the deployment as well, but one problem at a time.

maxbehr
Contributor II

Understood…I would then recommend you use brew to install instead of building from scratch. The brew packages are built and tested to work on macOS. You can get started at the brew site.

DBI_Support
New Contributor

This will prove very useful, thanks!

Anyone do any configuration of this? I'd normally take the time to figure it out, but it's turned into a "need this yesterday" kind of thing?

Thanks!

maxbehr
Contributor II

I've generally found that brew packages are pretty much the same version you would get when building from source. The only changes are usually compiler flags and maybe some very minor changes from source in order to make them work with macOS.