Restricted mail app trying to run on boot MacOSX 10.12

steve_bills
New Contributor II

I recently updated my Macbook Pro to MacOS X 10.12. Upon boot it's trying to access my Apple mail app which I have restricted to all users including myself. I checked my login profile to make sure that that didn't get installed in the startup items upon the upgrade which it did not. Has anyone experience this before and found a solution. I'd like to push the OSX update out to our users next month without having that happen. Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

Jeremy0548
New Contributor

Is Mail actually starting up? I have Apple Mail set as restricted software on our student computers. I originally had a dialogue box pop up whenever the process was killed informing the students to use the browser to access their emails, but due to the process being found 2-3 times during boot I now just have the process killed. All of our student computers are on 10.11 currently. I haven't found any issues just killing the app this way. Am I missing something about your question? I'll attach a screenshot of my configuration if that helps.8e9c900b4e5140469ccd73fb4db9edb4

steve_bills
New Contributor II

Mail and iBooks are actually trying to start up. I have a restriction message setup to notify the user that these apps are not available for use. I have attached the screen shot. The only thing that I see different in mine is that I have the "Restrict exact process name" checked. I will uncheck that and see if that does the trick. I have also attached a screen shot of that restricted process.

dcd0b4ec27e3428d92aad1efa0e4c69d

Jeremy0548
New Contributor

I did a bit of digging today. I have my above restriction on three computers with 10.12 and all of them are also killing a com.apple.MailCacheDelete process that doesn't seem to show up on any of our 10.11 computers. If you want to keep the message portion of your restriction you might have to set a different profile to kill this process in the background silently.

cpdecker
Contributor III

Confirmed we are having this problem. I could be wrong but I think Mail wants to run all the time now, not just a one-time successful run and done.

My solution was to disable the notification so the users see nothing--more of a workaround. We also prefer our users access e-mail via the browser.

Any insight into this issue would be appreciated!

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

Hey all,

After doing some digging, we've found this to be the result of an incorrect workflow.

If we have the box for Restrict exact process name checked, we should not be adding a .app to the end of the process name, as the process name itself does not have .app in it.

In the case in this thread, we would want to either uncheck that box, or edit the process name field so it reads Mail.

The PI mentioned (PI-003002) has been closed out as Not An Issue.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Support