OS X Install Data Folder in root folder?

navek
New Contributor III

Good morning.
I have been testing a self service upgrade of Sierra. We are only allowing this for machines running 10.10 and higher because of our disk encryption system. Older machines are not using File Vault for encryption so an upgrade is not an option.
I have created the Sierra upgrade profile using Apples latest version of Sierra 10.12.1. It appears to run fine. The installer downloads, verifies correctly, reboots, installs and boots up correctly after. No errors and everything looks good except at the root of the drive is a new folder "OS X Install Data". 4GB is size. Has anyone else seen this folder? Did I miss a checkbox in the profile to clean up after the installer?
The one issue with the folder is that the user needs to have administrator rights to delete the folder after the install. Not all users have those rights.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

@navek , usually this folder is deleted after a successful upgrade. Did you see this issue for all of your upgraded machines?

mbezzo
Contributor III

FWIW, I'm seeing this too, for all Self Service installs. My users are admin so it's not a big deal - but definitely haven't had this happen with upgrades through Self Service prior to Sierra. Guess it's time to open a case with jamf!

Thanks,
Matt

navek
New Contributor III

I have not seen any issues with my installs. I have tested the self installs on about 8 machines and they all had the folder left over. I am testing a profile to delete the folder after it is inventoried on the next recon.

Thanks Matt it is nice to know it is not just me. On the same front sorry it is happening to you as well.

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

This may be a cleanup issue, as Apple's macOS Sierra installer is expecting to clean up a directory named macOS Install Data, in place of OS X's OS X Install Data.

OS installers generated by createOSXInstallPkg were also experiencing this issue until an updated version of createOSXInstallPkg was released in September. For more details on the issue and the fix, please see the link below:

https://github.com/munki/createOSXinstallPkg/issues/18

mbezzo
Contributor III

Thanks Rich!