Compatible USB-C Gigabit Ethernet Adapters for Netbooting Late 2016 MacBook Pros

pcrandom
Contributor

There's been a thread or two discussing this issue, but I wanted a quick reference thread listing USB-C gigabit Ethernet adapters that are confirmed to be able to network boot the late 2016 MBPs with or without the Touch Bar. No assumptions* or guesses, please.

(For my needs, I'm not interested in whether an adapter will netboot a MacBook but if others are interested and have accurate information, feel free to list it.)

In one of the above-linked threads, two people confirmed that Dell's USB-C to gigabit Ethernet adapter DBQBCBC064 can netboot a late 2016 MBP (one person said 13" w/o Touch Bar, the other did not specify what model late 2016 MBP). Interesting, I cannot find that part number on Dell.com. I did, however find it on a Provantage page that calls it "Dell Adapter USB-C to Ethernet Pxe Boot 470-Abnd" which, even more interesting, is mentioned in the other thread above as confirmed not to netboot the 12" 2015 MacBook...

Are there any other adapters that are confirmed to netboot? Thanks in advance!

*I will make two assumptions:

First, Apple's Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter when connected to Apple's Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter I assume should work for netbooting, and multiple someones have probably already confirmed that, if anyone can point to another thread or website that states so, would be greatly appreciated!

Second, I'm less sure that the white Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter that Apple is selling (w/a 7-10 week lead time) will network boot a late 2016 MBP, but I'm hopeful because it seems to be "blessed" by Apple. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone's been able to that one yet, and the black version that Belkin sells is confirmed to not be able to netboot late 2016 MBPs.

23 REPLIES 23

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

MacBook Pro 13-inch 2016 w/o Touch Bar with real Escape Key, the following will netboot:
- Apple USB-C to USB Adapter Product Number : MJ1M2AM/A CONNECTED TO Apple USB Ethernet Adapter, Product Number : MC704LL/A = extremely slow, well because 10/100.
- Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter, Product Number : MMEL2AM/A CONNECTED TO Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, Product Number : MD463LL/A
- Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - White, Product Number : HJKF2ZM/A
- Kanex USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, Model KU3CGBT
- Startech USB-C to Gigabit Network Adapter - Silver, Product ID: US1GC30A

MacBook 12-inch early 2015 will netboot:
- Apple USB-C to USB Adapter, Product Number : MJ1M2AM/A CONNECTED TO Apple USB Ethernet Adapter, Product Number : MC704LL/A = extremely slow, well because 10/100.

MacBook 12-inch early 2015 netboot no go
- Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - White, Product Number : HJKF2ZM/A
- Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter, Product Number : MMEL2AM/A CONNECTED TO Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, Product Number : MD463LL/A
- Startech USB-C to Gigabit Network Adapter - Silver, Product ID: US1GC30A
- Kanex USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, Model KU3CGBT

System Information shows:
- Belkin HJKF2ZM/A as Product ID 0x8153, Realtek Semiconductor Corp, version 30.00, Manu. Belkin, Current req. 256ma
- Kanex KU3CGBT as Product ID 0x8153, Realtek Semiconductor Corp, version 30.00, Manu. Realtek, Current req. 256ma
- Startech US1GC30A as Product ID 0x8153, Realtek Semiconductor Corp, version 30.00, Manu. Realtek Current req. 144ma

All the above is my personal experience with each Mac and adapter. Booting to a AutoCasperNetBoot image with 10.12.1 (16B2657) on a Mac mini with 10.11.6 and Server 5.2 that is located on a different subnet, using IP helpers on the switch.

scharest
New Contributor II

Here is what I have tried on New Late 2016 15" MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar.

1) Apple supported Belkin USB-C to Ethernet Adapter (Model: F2CU040) = Did not work. Shows globe spinning for 30 seconds and then reboots.
2) Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 connector and Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter = Did not work. Shows globe spinning for 30 seconds and then reboots.
3) Apple USB-C to USB 3.0 adapter and generic USB 2.0 to Ethernet adapter = Did not work. Shows globe spinning for 30 seconds and then reboots.
4) Apple USB-C to USB 3.0 adapter and Cable Matters USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter = Did not work. Shows globe spinning for 30 seconds and then reboots.

Steve

0107751899934a6fa9f900b3819c375f

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

@scharest When you hold the option key and have any one of the adapters plugged in, are you seeing the available netboot images? That alone is a sign the adapter is being recognized by the Mac.

It's when you have the network adapter connected and Option key boot up and the only network option is wireless is it a sign that the Mac does not have the right drivers to support that adapter.

I believe the fact that you see the globe yet it fails to netboot could be an issue with your 10.12.1 netboot image.

To be able to netboot the new 2016, you may need to have netboot image that is 10.12.1 Build 16B2659.

pcrandom
Contributor

Thanks @jhalvorson. Exactly what I'm looking for, and above and beyond on the details and specificity. Thanks to @scharest too, sorry you haven't had any luck. +1 on jhalvorson's suggestions, though. It seems very unlikely that Apple's own adapters would not work. Holding down Option will distinguish between whether it's a netboot failure versus an unrecognized adapter.

scharest
New Contributor II

@jhalvorson When I hold Option down it does show the choice of Netboot but it says 10.11.6 AutoCasperNBI. I uploaded a the latest 10.12.1 image to Jamf yesterday so it should be showing shouldn't it? I did a Netboot on a May 2015 15" MacBook Pro yesterday and it imaged it with Sierra, why not Late 2016 MacBook Pro?

eholtam
New Contributor

I had a Netboot compatibility Google Sheet started for Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter compatibility.
If you have results for USB-C do you want to add those to the spreadsheet?

The original post explaining the Netboot criteria here

The Google Sheet is here

-Eric

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

@scharest Adding Sierra to Casper Admin (Jamf) will help with applying the image to Macs. It does not help with the Netboot process/image.

You will have to create a new Netboot image based on the version of 10.12.1 that comes with the Late 2016 MacBook Pro. The hardware is too new to be able to boot into any version of 10.11.x.

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

The Late 2016 MacBook Pro 15 that we received is running a forked OS. It's build number is 16B2659. It will require a new netboot image.

C

cdev
Contributor III

I was able to successfully NetBoot and Image a 13" FnKey model using a Dell USB-C Ethernet adapter (D59GG / DBQBCBC064). The Apple Digital AV adapter with the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter also works, but is painfully slow... Using a 10.12.1 NBI (build 2657). Still waiting for our order of Belkin and Apple adapters, as well as TouchBar equipped 13" and 15" models to try other combinations.

Update 9-Jan-2017
Our 13" touchbar models have arrived and I am able to netboot/image using a StarTech USB Gig-E adapters (model US1GC30B).
This same ethernet adapter works as a network adapter on a 12" MacBook (Early 2016), but will not netboot this model.

Update 20-Jan-2017
Our 15" touchbar models have arrived and the same StarTech and Dell adapters are working for these machines as well. NetBoot image has been updated to 10.12.2.

erice
New Contributor

I was able to successfully netbook with the Apple supported Belkin USB-C to Ethernet Adapter (Model: F2CU040) after recreating a netboot image with 10.12.1

pcrandom
Contributor

@erice was that the white Belkin adapter that you were successful with, and did you boot up a 13" or 15" model?

MikeF
Contributor II

I have also just got a 2016 13 in MacBook pro to netbook using the belkin usb-c adapter.

pcrandom
Contributor

@MikeF same question to you as to @erice. Belkin makes two different USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapters with the model/part number F2CU040, a black one that's available on their website and other retailers (full model/part number F2CU040btBLK) and a white one that is sold exclusively by Apple (full Belkin model/part number F2CU040dsWHTAPL).

The black one did not work with the 12" MacBook from what I've read, so the assumption was that it wouldn't work on the Late 2016 MBPs. But, per @jhalvorson above, the white one, while it did netboot a Late 2016 13" MacBook Pro "Escape" (no Touch Bar), still did not netbook a 12" MacBook.

So now it's unclear whether the black one does or doesn't netboot these new Late 2016 MacBook Pros. Can you confirm whether you were successful with the black or white Belkin adapter?

MikeF
Contributor II

I used the White welkin Adapter F2CU040. It works on my 13 in MacBook pro

pcrandom
Contributor

Thanks @MikeF!

As an aside, I just wanted to confirm that old Apple USB Ethernet Adapter (MC704LL/A) connected to the Apple USB-C to USB Adapter (MJ1M2AM/A) does netboot a Late 2016 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, albeit very slowly...

spraguga
Contributor

@pcrandom I am able to netboot a MacBook Pro 2016 13" w/Touchbar using our 10.12.1 NBI with the Black Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, model number F2CU040btBLK.

mtz
New Contributor

Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter to Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Gig adapter will ONLY work if you hold down Option key. It won't work if using Startup Disk in System Prefs. I opened a case with Enterprise support.

However, an Anker AK-A8341041 USB-C to Ethernet will work fine using Startup Disk or Option key.

Tested with 2016 MacBook Pro 13” i7 10.12.2 and NetBoot Sierra 10.12.2 build 68.

UPDATE 1/19/17

I was getting a lot of Send Errors in Network Utility. Called Anker and they said to download and install driver. Which installs AppleRTL815X* kext file. That fixed the Send Errors but now I can’t see any Netboots upon opening Startup in System Prefs. Works ok by holding Option key on restart. Using their uninstaller Netboot works again but the Send Errors appear.

UPDATE 1/21/2017

The Send Errors don't affect transfer speed. It seems to be cosmetic. There are no packets lost. Therefore, I removed the software as I need to see Netboots in Startup prefs.

Note that I also tried a Choetech Multiport USB-C adapter. It had the same results as Anker....when the Anker software was installed no Netboots available. Removing the software it works fine except the Send Errors. Seems like many companies using the same software installer.

I then tried a Plugable adapter. It doesn't work at all with Netboot. Whether with their own software or the Anker. Plugable installs a different Ethernet kext file vs the other two.

Apple Enterprise is still investigating the issue. They have asked me for more info. They say it works with build 68, which is true, but that is only when holding down Option key using their Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter. It doesn't work with Startup prefs which I don't believe they tested.

mtz
New Contributor

arnokenis
New Contributor III

HP USB-C to RJ45 Adapter.
Model: RTL8153-03

Worked for me. I saw my netboot images when pressing the alt key. I did not have a 10.12 image yet so that's as far as I got on a late 2016 15inch MBP with touch.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

When testing your network adapters for netboot, if you encounter one that doesn't seem to work, try plugging it in to the USB-C ports on the other side of the computer. I've found that the ports on the left support Target Mode while the ports on the right do not. I've heard that the ports on the left also support 4K video while the ones on the right do not (or something to that effect). This could also be the situation with Netbooting as well. Give it a try.

For the record: I have been successful in netbooting our 2016 MBPs with TouchBar via the white Belkin F2CU040 ethernet adapter as well as using the Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter with a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter plugged into that (dongle plugged into a dongle).

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

FYI,

I timed the boot time for the Dell and StarTech USB-C to ethernet adapters and they were significantly slower than the using the Apple adapters. This plus not trusting Apple not to pull the third party drivers later, I told our team that I will only support the Apple solution.

: )

C

I didn't see the same time differences while imaging, but I don't control all the variables.

Juan_Taveras2
New Contributor

We have been able to use a USB 3.0 Lenovo ethernet adapter with a cheapo USB 3.0 to USB-C adapter and works wonders.. We will be testing 3rd party usb-c like Lenovos on the mac.

here are the links
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADDC5G75784&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC--pla--Cables+-+USB+Cables-_-9SIADDC5G75784&gclid=Cj0KCQjwx8fOBRD7ARIsAPVq-NksZHJTwKCc0x48cL5fFLwLPTecXaqD8mwHXGMOTMI9sJcKSHAWmbIaAuNdEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lenovo adapter: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C%7Bcreative%7D%2C%7Bkeyword%7D&gclid=Cj0KCQjwx8fOBRD7ARIsAPVq-NkI1GQic0lGB2WdbB-aInNPODn-TjFB7TlS05T98lPa65nPma8DF3waAqKfEALw_wcB&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1102746

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

Adding to the list:
Startech DKT30CSDHPD: Allows netboot but fails to boot to recovery mode. Tested on 2018 MBP and 2017 MBP.