Connect to new Wifi on ipad set up as shared device

jorrig
New Contributor III

Hi, anyone having experience with the following situation and might have a good solution for this:

I have iPads set up as a shared device, and also a bunch of managed Apple IDs. All the devices uses our Wifi at work. Recently I had a teacher bringing along a couple of devices outside the range of our wifi network. They had another wifi in range nearby but never connected to it before, is there a way to connect to a new wifi network on shared devices before logging into the devices?

I did some testing:
On iPad 1 I logged on to before leaving my corporate wifi and logged out before leaving.
On iPad 2 I had the same account locally but it was surely 2 month ago that I used that account on the iPad. But I did not log in when at work.
Then I brought the 2 iPads with me outside the range of my wifi. I had no other wifi in range.
On iPad 1 I could log on with the account locally. On iPad 2 it says to me that I need to connect to internet before I log on.
On iPad 1 when logged in I can connect to my 4g mobile router using internet on iPad 1. But on iPad 2 there is no way to connect to 4g mobile router and I cannot log in with any of the local accounts before connecting to internet.

So to summarize the issue, is there a way to connect to a wifi network before logging in to a shared device?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kyle_bareis
New Contributor III

@jorrig What iOS version are your Shared iPads? I am guessing that the devices are still running a 9.x.x version of iOS. @jbourdon is correct that in iOS 10 Apple added a feature to Shared iPad that allows for a Wi-Fi selector to pop up. I usually get it to show when I am looking at the list of classes on the device. If I can get access to a Shared iPad later today I can upload screenshots or a quick video of what it should look like.

Let us know if that works for you!

~ Kyle

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

bumbletech
Contributor III

Double click the home button on the login screen. That'll bring up a wifi selector.

jorrig
New Contributor III

Not working for me, nothing happens upon double click.

kyle_bareis
New Contributor III

@jorrig What iOS version are your Shared iPads? I am guessing that the devices are still running a 9.x.x version of iOS. @jbourdon is correct that in iOS 10 Apple added a feature to Shared iPad that allows for a Wi-Fi selector to pop up. I usually get it to show when I am looking at the list of classes on the device. If I can get access to a Shared iPad later today I can upload screenshots or a quick video of what it should look like.

Let us know if that works for you!

~ Kyle

jorrig
New Contributor III

@kyle.bareis They are running 9.3.5. I will send the out the command to update ios, I will get right back to you with the result when they are running the latest ios...probably on monday, thinking of taking the weekend now.

jorrig
New Contributor III

@kyle.bareis Checked the iPads after running the upgrade to iOS 10.1.1, and just like you said earlier when double click the home button I get the wifi selector. Thanks for your support!