Add JSS read user

rhooper
Contributor III

I am trying to add a restricted user account that has read only privileges. I would like this person to be able to search for computers in the JSS only, so they can see when a computer was logged into, where it was logged into, and by whom. I created an test account that had JSS read privileges, but it said I had to add some dashboard items, this is not what I want, they need to be able to search for these devices.
Is there a way to create this account to do this search?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

rhooper
Contributor III

Brett, I gave this new account "read" under the computers tab only.

Christopher, yes the interface has no search or anything in it it is empty. I Am not sure what is missing, but I need to allow a couple of others to search for devices if they are stolen so they can see where they were last seen in that buiding.

157aebb3401f45eba5c1b5f96f73fccb
3099e811a2e14049b185cf3bdb748934

View solution in original post

bburdeaux
Contributor II

If that is the only box you checked, I see the issue. For a user to have access to a tab in the JSS, they have to have at least read access to the matching object ("Mobile Devices" for the mobile devices tab, "Computers" for the computers tab, and "Users" for the users tab). Giving them access to the advanced searches, while probably a good idea in addition to "Computers", doesn't actually give them permission to search. Here's a screenshot of the permissions for the user I set up, which is able to search for, and read, computer inventories, but nothing else.

fa88462b04294755b790ae95245e51d1

Your screenshot has the top of the window cropped out, so I need to ask; can you see the three tabs at the top of the screen? If you don't see them, then there's definitely something wrong with either your JSS's interface, or your browser. Even with every single permission revoked, you should still see those tabs.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

bburdeaux
Contributor II

I just reset my test account and only gave it read access to computers, and was able to search just fine. Can you be more specific about what privileges you've given the account?

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

@rhooper It sounds to me like an interface question. All users are presented with a "Dashboard" view upon login. You then have to navigate to the "Computer", "Mobile Device", or "User" tabs to search in those categories. You could give them a direct link to https://jss.YOUR-COMPANY.com:8443/computers.html

rhooper
Contributor III

Brett, I gave this new account "read" under the computers tab only.

Christopher, yes the interface has no search or anything in it it is empty. I Am not sure what is missing, but I need to allow a couple of others to search for devices if they are stolen so they can see where they were last seen in that buiding.

157aebb3401f45eba5c1b5f96f73fccb
3099e811a2e14049b185cf3bdb748934

bburdeaux
Contributor II

If that is the only box you checked, I see the issue. For a user to have access to a tab in the JSS, they have to have at least read access to the matching object ("Mobile Devices" for the mobile devices tab, "Computers" for the computers tab, and "Users" for the users tab). Giving them access to the advanced searches, while probably a good idea in addition to "Computers", doesn't actually give them permission to search. Here's a screenshot of the permissions for the user I set up, which is able to search for, and read, computer inventories, but nothing else.

fa88462b04294755b790ae95245e51d1

Your screenshot has the top of the window cropped out, so I need to ask; can you see the three tabs at the top of the screen? If you don't see them, then there's definitely something wrong with either your JSS's interface, or your browser. Even with every single permission revoked, you should still see those tabs.

rhooper
Contributor III

I can see those tabs. I will try to check that computer box as well and see
what happens...
2 hrs later....

That works great and is just what I Am looking for.
Thank you so much.

Have a great Thanksgiving all!