Weird issues with running install jobs on El Cap and Sierra-

rbingham917
New Contributor III

Hello everyone-

I'm starting to work on Sierra more and more, and I've noticed some weird issues with some of the install jobs that I have. One in particular that I will mention is for our Symantec Endpoint Protection client.

What I am doing since Capturing through Composer doesn't work, is that I am taking the contents of the DMG that SEP installs from and copying that to a local folder. I'm capturing that folder and the contents within in Composer and I am creating a pre-install script that calls the SEP.mpkg file to install the program, using a simple Installer call. installer -pkg /SEP/Additional Resources/SEP.mpkg -target / and a post install to remove the folder rm -rf /SEP/

When I capture the file on my Sierra VM, and attempt to push that out as a policy to my El Cap VM, it does not install, but the policy reports that it was successful. The program is not present. When running it on my Sierra VM, it works without a hitch.

Inversely, when I capture it on El Cap, it works good on the El Cap machine, but borks up on the Sierra machine.

Is there anything glaringly different with the file systems of El Cap and Sierra that I am not taking into effect? It just seems strange that I am using the exact same syntax but it's not working on the different os's.

1 REPLY 1

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

IIRC SEP is one of those .pkgs that must be installed with a user logged in. I have installed it the following ways in both El Capitan and Sierra:

1. the SEP .mpkg as part of an autodmg image.
  2. the SEP .mpkg as an "at reboot " install in our Sierra thin image hth

Larry