AD Bound Users Random Freeze/Beachball?

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Hello,

I have a weird issue on some of my Macs. Some of our AD users are reporting random beachball and freezes. When I log into a local account, all is fine.

I noticed a network share mounted with denied permissions on these Macs. When I unmount the share, the freezes seem to stop. Problem is, if they restart or log out the network share automatically mounts again.

Our storage team is seeing this same issue on PCs as well, but so far no fix on the Mac side.

Anybody experience this before?dab8f61834f24c29a80bac60554490c0

4 REPLIES 4

Malcolm
Contributor II

Is the share SMB? and any idea what SMB version it is running?

I've observed similar traits with SMB versions making beachball issues in the past.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

It is SMB share. Not sure on the version. How do I find out? Mac is on 10.8 if that helps. What did you do in the past?

Thanks for assist.

ericbenfer
Contributor III
I noticed a network share mounted with denied permissions on these Macs. When I unmount the share, the freezes seem to stop. Problem is, if they restart or log out the network share automatically mounts again.

Michael, I would suggest not auto-mounting the network home directory, and then test again.

To do this:
1. Open "/System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/Directory Utility.app"
2. In the "Services" tab, click the lock and authenticate with admin credentials to make changes.
3. Double click "Active Directory" and click the grey triangle to expand the window.
4. In the "User Experience" tab uncheck "Use UNC path from Active Directory to derive network home location".
5. Click "OK"

Log out or reboot. Now the Network home directory should not auto-mount.
Live like that for a while to see if the beach balls are mitigated.

As for the permissions issues with the file server.
Ask your file server admin to setup a test share with wide open permissions. Can you connect to it?
From there start tightening down the permissions.

Eric

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Thanks Eric. I'll give this a go. I believe we tried this on one of our users; it was fine for a bit then the freeze came back.

Looks like our storage and network team is looking into this as it effects Windows and Macs here.

Thanks again Eric!