Issue with VPP App and App Store Conflicting

spreston
New Contributor III

Hi -

(Forgive me ahead of time if I get the terminology wrong... thanks)

I currently have a Mac App Store App Deployed in our environment (OneDrive) under our VPP license as a Self Service install. Today I had a user running 10.10.5 try and open the Self Service app and download OneDrive. When she went to click "Install", it opened the App Store app, and then presented her with the "Get" option within the App Store. Clicking on that prompted her to sign in to her personal App Store account instead of using our VPP license.

I do see the checkbox for "Assign VPP Content to computers with OS X v10.11 or later", does that simply mean the user needs to upgrade their OS to 10.11 to use our VPP? Otherwise (if that's not the case), shouldn't the install use the VPP license since it's in Self Service instead of a personal App Store license?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

You need OS X 10.11 or newer to use device based VPP licensing. Have this user upgrade their OS or use user based licensing to assign the license to their Apple ID.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

You need OS X 10.11 or newer to use device based VPP licensing. Have this user upgrade their OS or use user based licensing to assign the license to their Apple ID.

Malcolm
Contributor II

I feel I have also seen this in 10.11 but only during the first user login experience, after a reboot and a re-login it worked as expected.

It's been a while since I revisited. I might check in a few days.

spreston
New Contributor III

Thanks both - we'll have the user upgrade and I'll see if I can limit the install to 10.11 and up.

DA001KL
New Contributor III

I get the same issue . When I choose to install on selfservice it opens up the ITunes store. The machine I am testing on is 10.12.3. Is there a way to just have it install from self service portal w/o needing the user to go into ITunes store

lehmanp00
Contributor III

I have only seen Device VPP for Mac work with Apple ID logged into the App Store. Plus, Self-Service will almost always say 'not available' but if you wait a few minutes, the app will start to install anyways. I have also used Terminal to do a jamf recon command; that seemed to help.