Issues with device signature error

jreeves
New Contributor III

i’ve got an interesting issue thats been happening in our enviroment for about 3 years now just completely at random, thought i’d post it here and see if you guys had any insight..

So maybe 3 or 4 times a week per school, we have a machine that doesn't get configuration profiles or policies and when anything is ran from self service it fails.. when checking the jamf.log the error message we get is "Device Signature Error", well this isn't new to us. the only solution i've gotten from my TAM in the past is to delete the record out of JSS and Re-enroll the machine. This works but a lot of the time we don't know that this is happening until we are at crunch time (State testing etc) and then it takes forever to delete each record and re-enroll. This year we integrated @rtrouton CasperCheck and its helped with a TON of issues but this one doesn't seem to be in the scope of something that CasperCheck can fix. I was wondering if anyone has seen this issue fairly frequently and how you guys deal with it. Currently we are having to delete the record and then just restart the machine for CasperCheck to take over but i'd love to find if there is a way to find machines with that error message, auto delete from jss, and auto re-enroll (possibly in caspercheck?)

2 REPLIES 2

slewis59
New Contributor

we have been running into the problem as well, specifically with one set of machines.

to fix it i have been connecting to them with ssh and running

sudo jamf removeframework

then using recon to perform a remote enrollment

its pretty much the same steps you are taking but it avoids a restart so it can be done on the fly even if one of our users is on the machine

stevevalle
Contributor III

We have seen this for many years. The machine simply fails to enrol into the JSS properly.

We either remove the jamf framework and then use recon to enrol the Mac again, or visit https://jss.url:8443/enrol

Seems like you are dealing with it in the most appropriate way! I haven't used CasperCheck, but from reading how it works, its something I am going to look into!